Chain slipper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain slipper?

I'm having a problem with my '63 Scottish - the top run of the chain hits the square section of frame in front of the rear wheel on deceleration. I think it's because I fitted a smaller rear sprocket to make it a bit more road-capable. Steve at Villiers Services suggested I fit a nylon slipper, so my main question is: where would I get a suitable slipper and how would I fix it to the frame?

Is this the kind of thing?: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165974142017?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338344812&toolid=11000&_ul =U K&customid =C j0KCQjw7aqkBhDPARIsAKGa0oIMiTBIbJ-9tIjWZ3YgCqJO0NdoyHKmIR2YtLppXBlT59YIc_KVwWAaAroTE ALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7aqkBhDPARIsAKGa0oIMiTBI bJ-9tIjWZ3YgCqJO0NdoyHKmIR2YtLppXBlT59YIc_KVwWAaAroTE ALw_wcB

Other info:
    • I may or may not have over-long, too soft or worn out shocks/springs - I've had other suggestions of shorter and or stiffer springs solving the problem.
    • I fitted a chain tensioner but it was a horrible cheap Chinese one and doesn't do anything useful - due for the bin.
    • I bought a proper chain tensioner from VS but I can't find a way to fit it.
    • I replaced all the clutch plates because the small sprocket was making it slip.
    • I replaced the 15t gearbox sprocket with a 17t one (on Steve from VS's advice).

The only other solution that makes any sense to me is to either return to the 60t rear sprocket, thus losing most of the benefit of modest speed I've achieved (17t gearbox sprocket would still be some improvement I guess), or find a sprocket between the 60t original and 42t I fitted - either way I'll need a new chain too because I cut the old one.

NB: I do know I should be trialling it and not trying to make it a country road bike, but realistically that's not going to happen.

(Sorry for not dusting it before taking photos)

image widget

The 32A engine can take a 20T gearbox sprocket https://villiersservices.co.uk/produ...-12-x-516-428/ this with the 60 tooth rear sprocket should give just a slightly lower final drive ratio ie 3 to 1 as against 2.8 to 1.with the 15 & 42 teeth sprockets The chain should then clear swinging arm. You can use the same chain by fitting a spring joining link, you may need to add a few links depending how much adjustment there is at back wheel.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/06/2023, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I made a slipper for my 60 TCS.
      I used a old white chopping board. Cut to suit and bent with a heat gun with hose clamp to hold in place, as I was running a 60t rear, 12t Gearbox.

whitehillbilly

Comment

I used an old bultaco slipper pad fixed with a self tapper, you may need to countersink slightly to avoid the chain rubbing on the head of the screw.

Comment

Thanks chaps,

The 10t sprocket sounds a proper option, but having just played hunt the roller bearing 30 times fitting the 17t one, it's an option I think I'll put on the back burner for now.

Chopping board - maybe, but I can't imagine what the hose clip does.

Slipper from another bike sounds like a good option, definitely worth thinking about.

What I have got in the shed is a chain tensioner I never fitted, and I'm thinking I might try cutting and screwing it like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slider mock-up.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	94770

I know it would fit, but not if it would work. Worth a try?

Jon

Comment

Well it works. I didn’t screw it, I just drilled holes in it and secured it with a cable tie. No more clanging as the chain hits the swinging arm frame, and the bike now comfortable plods along and 40-50mph Unfortunately, I ran out of fuel on the Dengie Marshes testing it. Forgot my phone. 30 degrees in the shade, of which there wasn’t any. If the kind lady in the one car that passed that hour hadn’t stopped and given me a lift home, I fear I may have died out there.

Yes, you are dealing with the kind of idiot who would go to the arse end of nowhere, without a phone, having not checked the tank for fuel.

The bike ran OK until then though

Click image for larger version

Name:	BA28F337-6890-4E14-BAD7-A3CD31F1CFF7.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	94789

Comment

Well we've all done stupid things. It would make an interesting thread, Confessions of a Dim Motorcyclist. I could fill a page.

Comment

Working...
              X