not sitting comfortably

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sitting comfortably

Seeing as how the rear tyre was bottoming onto a dished in mudguard and bracket, I decided to take action. The picture shows the distorted mudguard brackets. Can someone please confirm that the brackets should follow the profile of the guard? I'm afraid I may have missed something. Getting the old seat pad back in place will be a nightmare, so I'd like to take the plunge and fit a single sprung seat, suitable for this '59 model. Of course, we all know that the Dunlop trial saddles are unobtainable. So I'm looking at next best solution. A small Bantam-style Lycette is perhaps the closest choice. There are three inch springs available. If the forum votes this is the best action, I'll go for it! If there's plan B, please let me know!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Looking at your pic it looks as though the issue may be that the rear shocks are too short, a side pic would help to see position of swinging arm. I have attached a pic of a 1959 20TA and the units look longer thus giving more clearance between tyre and mudguard
    Attached Files

Comment

As John says, the rear units look a bit short. Also the springs appear weak and unless it’s an optical illusion the left hand side lower bush is not connected, so overloading the right hand unit.

Comment

Right! Well spotted, fellers. Yes, the old shocks are worn out and I have just taken delivery of a new pair in the right size, 310mm long. I had disconnected the nearside shock to check that the compressed length of the new shocks would give me clearance above the tyre. It will all be fine as long as I can put the correct bend in the mudguard brackets. As you can see, the under-seat bracket is well dished down and I've lost about an inch of clearance. I assume the bracket should have the mudguard profile. Then I need a saddle that will clear the mudguard!

Comment

Working...
        X