1960 Scottish rear wheel offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Scottish rear wheel offset

I'm trying to re assemble a 1960 Scottish and am having trouble with the rear wheel and chain alignment. It previously was fitted with a Triumph twin, which the person I bought from had removed and disassembled everything else. There were parts missing, including spacers and bolts all around the wheels and frame and wrong parts, eg wheel spindle. When I bought it he had re built the rear wheel, with a new rim. So that I can eliminate the rear wheel from my suspicions, could someone help with the rear wheel rim offset and where to measure it from, please ? Many thanks.

Morning Bernie. Greeves always built their rims central to the hub, so no offset. That is measured from the face of the brake drum to the spoke mounting flange, of course. Spacers were then used, depending on which swinging arm is fitted.

Yours I understand is a TCS. Gary at www.britishbikes1970.com can supply you with all you need; a new spindle:- https://www.britishbikes1970.com/par...umber-mwaaa102
    plus all the spacers you require. Provided the rim is laced up correctly, that will sort the back wheel. Usual caveats apply.

You really do need a parts list, readily available from the club, as advertised in Leading Link for a fiver; assuming you are a member? If not, I would recommend you join. It doesn't cost much, and you will find it invaluable in your rebuild. A copy of the original factory-issued TCS service notes is likewise available.

Good luck with it.

Ian C.

Comment

Thanks, Ian. I'll proceed with your advice.

Comment

One thing to check is whether you have the correct back wheel for the TCS. The TDS and TE rear tin hubs are 1/4" wider than the previous ones. As such, the spindles are different. It is unlikely you have the wrong one, but as the 'bike has been modified, it is best to find out for sure. It is difficult to measure across the outside of the spoke flanges with the wheel laced up, so measuring across the inside of the spoke flanges, yours should be 4 3/8", the TDS on- 4 5/8".

Comment

Dear Ian, From your previous reply, yesterday 11th, am I correct in understanding that the wheel rim centre should be on the exact centre line of the hub, ie halfway ?
          I'll check your latest suggestion re tin hub width, tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, the rim should be centralised on the hub, so no offset. Spindle spacers take care of centralising the wheel in the frame. The chain line is then determined by the engine spacers.

Comment

Dear Ian. I'm suspecting my re-built wheel I incorrect. Here are two pairs of pictures, showing the wheel. Difficult to align the tyre edges etc, and photograph with a tablet in the sun, though !
              Could you please look at them and say if you think the wheel is correct or not ? Many thanks, Bernie
              Attached Files

Comment

Bernie. It is difficult to tell from photos, particularly when tyres and sprocket are fitted. However, here is a picture of a freshly built TCS back wheel. I have tried to picture down the centre line of the rim, to show it centralised on the hub.

You need to get a straight edge across the rim, and across the sprocket mounting face and measure the difference, and do the same on the drum side. Those measurements should be the same. Click image for larger version

Name:	TCS rear wheel.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	93468

Comment

Am I right from understanding your suggestion, that the brake drum outer edge, is the datum, for the right hand side ?

Comment

That is my understanding. Bernie, although I am not a wheel builder. The other side would be the mating face for the sprocket mounting.

Comment

I would be inclined to ensure you have the correct spindle and spacers, as previously discussed, then fit the wheel, and hook up the chain. That way you will be able to tell if the chain is in line, and the rim is in line with the front one, and centralised in the frame. The chain line should be correct, if you have the correct spacers on the engine cradle.

If the rim is a bit out, a wheel builder may be able to pull it across sufficiently using the existing spokes, without having to strip and re-spoke the wheel. If it is not too far out, it can sometimes be done.

Comment

Dear Ian, many thanks for your advice. I think I have the sprocket and wheel alignment more or less. I show two pictures of the wheel, in the swingarm. The thin nut, was to allow me to get the wheel over to the left. Looking at the pictures and the fact that here is no more thread, within the thin nut and with about 1/4" to 3/8" sticking out I'd guess that I have the incorrect spindle. What are your thoughts ? Regards, Bernie Click image for larger version

Name:	20230224_120631.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	93678Click image for larger version

Name:	20230224_120642.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	93679
                        Attached Files

Comment

Bernie. Firstly, you can't set the spindle and spacer set-up without the brake plate in place. There is a spacer inside the brake plate and another outside. Secondly, there is a spacer inboard of the thin nut on the drive side.

Part of the reason you have threads showing on the drive side of the spindle outboard of the nut is that you have not got the wheel adjuster fitted, part of which is quite a thick washer; see brake side. I think I can see a thin nut on the brake side of your spindle. If you backed that off, along with the drive side nut, you could tighten the brake side spindle nut, drawing the spindle over a thread or two to centralise the spindle. However, you need the brake plate with correct spacers in place first.

The thick part of the spindle in the centre has to be the correct length, and in the correct position, in order for the bearings to seat.

I am about to send you a pm.

Ian C.
                          Last edited by IanCordes; 28/02/2023, 12:58 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                          X