Swing arm pivot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing arm pivot

I'm working on a Greeves Anglian that's been sitting unused for over 25 years. I'm trying to remove the swing arm pivot (shaft) with no success. Assuming the pivot just slides through the metalastik(?) bushes in the swing arm is there any trick way to remove the pivot (shaft). I've already tried pulling it through with a threaded rod through the centre of the pivot method. Applying heat seems a bit of a waste of time given the heat won't get through the bush to the pivot.

Ken
    Eastern Ontario

Ken, I have just had the same problem on a Yamaha T80 Townmate. The spindle had rusted into the bushes and the spacer between them. I had to borrow a large electric drill and some large drills and drill out the spindle and bushes. A long and tiring job, and broken drills in the process. I did try penetrating oil (even under pressure) but it wont penetrate. Best of luck, take your time, dont rush things you will get there in the end.

Comment

I had the same problem with an Anglian, tried all the usual methods you describe, but in the end the only way I could remove the spindle which was seized into every part of the frame and swing arm, was to use a hacksaw blade in a pad saw handle either side of the cradle and between swing arm and frame, then once the swing arm was free of the frame, drill out the spindle from the bushes. The frame was completely bare to achieve this so I could get at it every which way. Care needed to avoid removing material from the cradle, but its do-able.

As John says, take your time and you'll get there.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your excellent suggestions. Jeff, am I correct in understanding that you can get a saw blade between the cradle and the swing arm? I can see where it might work between the frame "tab" and the swing arm. Also, is the pivot supposed to be a sliding fit in the frame? My sense of both your's and John W.'s suggestion is to drill out the spindle in the bush part of the swing arm which will allow the swing arm to be removed from the frame followed by drilling or pressing out the remainder of the spindle in the frame. Getting the bush out of the swing arm sounds like a bunch of fun too though a press and some heat might deal with that. Metalastik bushes are one of those great-in-theory ideas, not so much in practice!

Ken
        Eastern Ontario, Canada

Comment

Posted on behalf of John Wakefield:
          Ken. You need to cut through on the protruding inner bush and through the spindle other wise you will damage the cradle. The hole through the cradle/frame should be a clearance fit for the bolt which clamps the bushes. It must be free in frame to allow the assembly to pivot on the rubber part of the bushes. Having removed the s/arm you may be able to then press out the bushes, if not then you need to drill out the rubber which should allow inner sleeve of bush and severed spindle to be removed. Its then a case of using a hacksaw to cut through the outer bush and it should then be possible to collapse with a small chisel and knock them out. As for inner part of frame I would be careful using heat, too much may damage the frame and melt brazing. Better to drill it out. Go from both sides and be careful that drill does not run off into frame. Start with a small drill and then larger till spindle is free.
          John

Comment

Thanks Andy

Comment

Before I start using a hacksaw I want to be absolutely sure I'm cutting what I think I'm cutting. Attached is a photo of the swing arm/frame area. Is the part I've circled in red the edge of the bushing sticking out the swing arm or part of the frame? It's very hard for the novice eye to tell. Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeves swing arn shaft.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	92933

Thanks for your help.

Ken
              Eastern Ontario Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeves swing arn shaft.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	92934

Comment

Yes that's the inner sleeve of bush, OK to cut there keep saw straight and dont let it wander off into frame or swinging arm.

Comment

To John and everyone else who wrote in with help on this matter, thank you. Given the age of even the "newest" Greeves I'm quite sure I'm not the only person who has or will encounter this problem. I'll attempt surgically precise cuts in the next few days and report back.

Ken
                  Eastern Ontario, Canada

Comment

For the record, taking to heart the suggestions made I have now successfully removed the swing arm from the frame. The metalastik bushes have been removed from the swing arm. However, the shaft running through the frame is so stuck I've taken the frame to a motorcycle/classic British car friend's engineering facility to have the shaft removed. I wasn't comfortable attempting to drill it out. His business is much better equipped for such a task than am I. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ken
                    Eastern Ontario,
                    Canada

Comment

Always a good idea to get the job done by an engineering work shop if you dont have the confidence or the tools to do the job. I managed to borrow a large slow speed electric drill from a mate he also made of drill guide (bush) to keep the drill central on spindle.In my case the bike was not dismantled other than the removal of swing arm so had to be worked on in the yard.

Comment

Working...
                      X