32A Decompressor & Inlet Manifold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32A Decompressor & Inlet Manifold.

Appears I have the wrong Inlet Manifold, only realized when I tried to fit the toolbox! Which bike uses this one (pic attached) ?

Also what is missing from my Decompressor (see pic) ? Is it just a screw and plate to hold the cable? Can't find illustration anywhere.

Thanks, John.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220930_183919495.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	92347Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220930_183906402.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	92348

I appear to have the same on my 1960 24TCs with 32A motor.

whitehillbilly
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Decompressor looks to have the lever missing where cable fits. Pic shows it fitted to a 1F engine. Villiers Services sell new ones https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...roducts_id=578
      Attached Files

Comment

The decompressor you have is the type fitted to Bond Minicar to assist starting with a Siba Dynastart, all that is missing is the screw and the little plate that clamps the inner cable, a nipple is not reqd, having said all that it is not needed on a trials bike unless you have a Dynastart. If you remove it the normal Villiers blanking plug will not fit your head. The decompressor that John illustrated is different and is a smaller thread.

Comment

Barrel is a 33A that is what you put on a 9E bottom end with short rod if you wanted a scramble as the Amal carb bolts straight to barrel you need a 31A barrel that it’s the same conversation but takes the swan neck manifold you have

Comment

Gary has identified the problem, I think though that the barrel is a 34A with the thicker flange, this accommodates the 1/4" longer con rod on the 250cc 32A 34A 36A 37A etc engine. If so you need a 32A or 36A barrel. OR you could buy or make up a short straight manifold to replace the swan necked one. As a matter of interest what is you engine number? The 34A 'scrambles' barrel will be ok for trials with the Villiers carb, it will give a bit more go. As John says remove the decompressor and replace it with a blanking plug.

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
              I appear to have the same on my 1960 24TCs with 32A motor.

whitehillbilly
              Mine is supposedly a 1960 24TCS with a 32A motor as well but there is not enough room to fit a toolbox with swan neck manifold fitted.
              Can you post a larger pic as the one you posted is too small to see clearly?

Cheers, John.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                Gary has identified the problem, I think though that the barrel is a 34A with the thicker flange, this accommodates the 1/4" longer con rod on the 250cc 32A 34A 36A 37A etc engine. If so you need a 32A or 36A barrel. OR you could buy or make up a short straight manifold to replace the swan necked one. As a matter of interest what is you engine number? The 34A 'scrambles' barrel will be ok for trials with the Villiers carb, it will give a bit more go. As John says remove the decompressor and replace it with a blanking plug.
                Engine No is 863B 802 and according to letter from GRA it is the original engine that was fitted when bike left the factory on 3/11/1959.
                There is a number stamped on the barrel but difficult to make out.
                I have a blanking plug but as I also have the lever and cable I thought I might as well fit a decompressor.

Cheers, John.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20221001_103951024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	479.5 KB ID:	92359
                Last edited by JohnAli; 01/10/2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
                  The decompressor you have is the type fitted to Bond Minicar to assist starting with a Siba Dynastart, all that is missing is the screw and the little plate that clamps the inner cable, a nipple is not reqd, having said all that it is not needed on a trials bike unless you have a Dynastart. If you remove it the normal Villiers blanking plug will not fit your head. The decompressor that John illustrated is different and is a smaller thread.
                  Thanks for the ID. I have a blanking plug from Villier Services that fits. I may now buy the correct decompressor as I have the lever and cable anyway.
                  Cheers, John.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAli View Post

Engine No is 863B 802 and according to letter from GRA it is the original engine that was fitted when bike left the factory on 3/11/1959.
                    There is a number stamped on the barrel but difficult to make out.

Cheers, John.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20221001_103951024.jpg Views:	6 Size:	479.5 KB ID:	92359
                    863B is a 32A (250cc trials or road) The barrel flange is the thicker one, so barrel is a 34A (250cc scrambles) part numbers for cylinder are 32A C11779 or C11785, & the 34A B11910
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/10/2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post

863B is a 32A (250cc trials or road) The barrel flange is the thicker one, so barrel is a 34A (250cc scrambles) part numbers for cylinder are 32A C11779 or C11785, & the 34A B11910
                      Thanks for that, appreciated.

Cheers, John.

Comment

Those are cylinder head part numbers, John, not barrel numbers. Cylinder for the 32A is C11768, that for 34A is A11585.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                          Those are cylinder head part numbers, John, not barrel numbers. Cylinder for the 32A is C11768, that for 34A is A11585.
                          Thanks John

Comment

Hi John.
                            Pic of inlet. Can take more if needed.

whitehillbilly
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
                              Hi John.
                              Pic of inlet. Can take more if needed.

whitehillbilly
                              Spot on, thank you!