Scottish exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish exhaust

Momentum is under way thanks to a number of guiding people within the greeves fraternity..
    the current question is exhaust system on my machine.
    It is a 1958 TA20 but it has an 8E fitted , rather than the 9E original.
    I've looked at exhausts at armours as I live quite near them , but are the 9e and 8e cylinder similar dimensions for the front pipe and its orientation.
    There are 2 types of silencer it seems as well.

My machine has an upset pipe feeding into a very skimpy silencer, seemingly marketed by Palmers of Teddington according to the label riveted on it.
    It's a hell of a pop pop and maybe too loud for the road

Any ideas please?

8E and 9E pipes are different diameter, Richard, as are the screw-on iron-barrel nuts. Also, don't think there was ever an "up-set" system to suit the 8E-engined trialler. If present system is presentable, suggest you consider fitting an additional muffler box to reduce sound, perhaps? Palmer "silencers" were much sought-after for competition bikes at one time!
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 10/07/2022, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Looking at the current exhaust you could cut & weld an extension to current front pipe to align with an Armours silencer. (see second pic of correct Scottish TA exhaust) Alternatively you could speak to Armours and see if they will supply an un plated front pipe of the one they do for the 20TA Scottish. You could the get it modified to fit the 8E engine and then send it back to Armours for plating. Their silencer should still fit the modified pipe. Alternatively still is to replace the 8E engine with a 9E or 32A engine. The bike would then be nearer to how it left the factory and with the 4 speed gearbox much better suited to the bike. The standard Armours system would then fit.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/07/2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

OK thank you, food for thought .

Comment

John, just noticed the 1st picture is my bike, but before I had it.
          it is sat supported on a red paddock stand and the pipe and silencer are as mine, so this pic has come from someone and somewhere.
          The front mudguard brackets are mine also
          Intriguing

Comment

Yes its your bike, I downloaded the pics from eBay in June https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313938895...MAAOSwCbNiRvFh

Comment

Working...
            X