Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight

I am trying to find out the weight of a 1959 Scottish to see if it would be ok on a bike rack.

Does anyone know how heavy it is likely to be?

many thanks
    ian

I have a 1961 Scottish and for quite a few years used a dedicated motorbike carrying rack attached to a tow hook bracket to carry the machine, it worked ok. Later changed to a trailer as it was getting hard work loading the machine on the rack.
    John

Comment

Thanks John, I am thinking of using a Dave Cooper bike rack, it's good to know someone else has used one.

Comment

i made my own.

whitehillbilly Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190903_080955 - Copy.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	90404Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190903_083638.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	90405

Comment

The 20TA was 106kg; the 24TA 109kg. The Dave Cooper rack should be good for 120kg.

Ian C.
          Last edited by IanCordes; 06/02/2022, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I have used a Dave Cooper bike rack with my TES on my VW Tiguan - it drove OK, however I think it may have been slightly over the the nose weight limit for the car.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Will be ordering a rack

Comment

AndyB has got a point. It is not just what the rack will take, but the car, too. A problem I have come across these days is that most car tow hitches seem to be the swan-neck type, not the detachable ball ones, which is what is required for the rack. I couldn't get one for a Mondeo, for example.

Ian C.

Comment

When I had the towbar put on the car I specifically got the one with the highest nose weight and a bolt on towball for this exact reason

Comment

Sorry I think you are missing the legal/insurance point here, you need the downweight allowance for your car,same point catches many caravan users. Due to lower weight of many cars now, this is commonly below 80 kgs. My present car Rav4, 4x4 is only 80kgs. I used to do it with a Range Rover this had 150kgs allowance. many do it but remember insurance companies will get out of anything you could be illegal. If your dealer cannot tell you check caravan magazines they usually quote it

Comment

Did not know about that, pleased to find out before it matters, my Espace seems to have an 80kg limit, the bike is usually inside but I have borrowed a bike rack in the past, to take a Silverstone to the IOM. Bit of a warning, don't make my mistake, we put a cover over the bike, then found when we got home you could not see the lights! Oops! Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter
                        Your ISDT will be much heavier than a Silverstone !!

Comment

I have a Peter Cooper rack on the back of my Skoda Octavia and have carried my 360 challenger and Anglian with no problems. I made an angled ramp so that the back of the bike can be wheeled up then the lighter front lifted. The 360 is a heavy bike.

Comment

the Skoda Octavia has a max nose weight of 75 kg, according to this post on Skoda Forum https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...r-nose-weight/ Well below weight of bikes
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/02/2022, 08:33 AM.

Comment

How time have changed.......

whitehillbilly
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X