• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting sugestions

Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeves Amal.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	85192 Hi all , having problems starting my 32A TES . It is bad to start but if I inject a small amount of petrol direct into the plug hole it starts straight away . I have renewed all gaskets , crank seals and new plug and points and fitted a choke but still its bad to start. Without injecting the petrol it takes about 12 kicks for it to start . Once its running its ok and will start again . It has a Amal 626 fitted with Main jet 140. needle 106 . pilot 25 . slide 3 1/2 . needle on highest . Thanks Frank

Book suggests a 2 1/2 slide, Frank. Do you drain the crankcase? Also, plug and points are not the b-all and end-all of ignition problems, of course.
    Hope this helps?
    John R

Comment

Thanks , crankcase is drained and I changed plug and points as a matter of course when I did the crankcase seals but will try a different slide . regards Frank

Comment

Frank
        My 32A TD with Concentric 626 is just the same. I dont have an air slide fitted to mine. Tickle the carb, five or six kicks, tickle again then on about the fifth kick off she goes. Starts first kick after that. Mine has Electrex World electronic ignition. According to Villiers Services advice your main jet is a bit big, they suggested 120 or 130 to me. If it consistently starts after 12 kicks I am prepared to put up with it.
        Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

All to do with the poor quality ethanol laced petrol available these days

Comment

Tickle like mad and dont open the throttle much.

Comment

And kick like mad! Trouble is with a lot of todays owners they are not used to kick starting bikes, and even those modern bikes that still have kick starters only need a light prod. The old Villiers needs an energetic kick to turn it over fast enough to generate a spark
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/11/2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks to you all , kicking will keep me fit .

Comment

With my TFS I do what John Pattinson suggest's plenty of tickle , I have no choke fitted, it generally starts 2nd kick.
                  I also have the external coil system. And I have a healthy spark.
                  My coil is in the 3 o'clock position and is an unwound Villiers ignition coil.
                  Is your LT wiring sound?
                  Cheers
                  Colin

Comment

Cheers colin yes wiring sound and a spark strong enough to stun a bullock. Will keep tickling and kicking

Comment

By the way I use an NGK B6HS spark plug.

Colin.

Comment

Thanks Colin . So do I

Comment

Just a thought about the carburettor, does it have (or need, even,) an angled spray tube?

Comment

Thanks for that Colin .It does have the correct two stroke spray tube.

Comment

This reminds me of my first bike an old D1 125 Banta, it would never start with the kickstart, but a few yards with a bump start no problem. I use to think it was lack of compression, new rings did not cure it.

Comment

Working...
                              X