1959 Scottish footrest question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Scottish footrest question

Hi, Looking at getting this type of footrest to use on my Hawkstone (for trials use)........do the footrests connect together at rear of engine as well as being bolted to frame lugs or are they separate, left & right?
    Thanks

Hello again, Dave. I did scramble an otherwise standard 1959 Scottish at one time, no longer have it but seem to remember the footrests were part and parcel of an assembly which included the rear brake pedal, in which case the whole assembly would have straddled the underside of the frame mounting in one piece.
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 17/03/2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Absolutely right there John.

For even the most genteel of trials I recommend fold up footrests. The original solid assembly was fine in the fifties and sixties. Plenty of good kit on the market . Fecked Off Trials parts is a good place to start. They took over Sammy Miller stuff a while ago. As ever I have no connection.

Comment

Thanks Phil. As with a later Hawkstone, I did hacksaw off the outer 4 - 5 inches of the rests and had the brackets for a folding set butt-welded to the stubs to have rests which complied with AMCA competition regulations.

Comment

The footrests on the early Scottish were assembly's which included the rear brake lever, and bolted to the frame they were interchangeable with the Hawkstone footrests which were further foward.
          As Phil and John say its a good idea to cut off the original sold bar foot rests and weld on folding ones unless you are building a bike for show purposes to original spec. The drawings for the foot rest assembly should be available from Rob Thornton.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/03/2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

The welded assembly was without a doubt a sturdy piece of engineering. The crossover brake was unlikely to break so plenty of scope for fresh thought and weight saving to boot.

Comment

Hi David.
              I have the solid footrest assembly on my '62 model Scottish and asked the question about folding footrests when I bought my bike about 15 months ago. Have bought a complete new assembly from Dave Harrison (see his contact details in LL) with the aim of modifying as described above. Great piece of kit, seems a shame to cut bits off it! All held on by two bolts through the engine mountings. Hope these responses help.
              Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Thanks to all. Will now consider the next move!

Comment

Working...
                X