missing spindle oil seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing spindle oil seal?

All I wanted to do was fit some new wheel bearings in my '59 Scottish 250, but I seem to be finding more problems than solutions! First of all the spindle threads were in a dreadful state, so I eventually sourced a new-old-stock spindle from Greeves Racing. So far so good. New bearings from Villiers Services, good. On reassembling things I seem to have lost a spacer/washer from inside the brake plate, and got all the other spacers mixed up, and I seem to be missing an oil seal to cover the sprocket side bearing. On the sprocket side I have just a spacer before the chain adjuster fits in. This does not look right, even though it's a sealed bearing. What I really need is one of those Haynes style exploded views showing where everything fits. I have a half-width steel hub which seems standard. I feel life should not be this difficult. Any tips, anyone?

You will find hub diagrams in this thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...s-hub-drawings

Comment

Originally posted by TerryS View Post
      All I wanted to do was fit some new wheel bearings in my '59 Scottish 250, but I seem to be finding more problems than solutions! First of all the spindle threads were in a dreadful state, so I eventually sourced a new-old-stock spindle from Greeves Racing. So far so good. New bearings from Villiers Services, good. On reassembling things I seem to have lost a spacer/washer from inside the brake plate, and got all the other spacers mixed up, and I seem to be missing an oil seal to cover the sprocket side bearing. On the sprocket side I have just a spacer before the chain adjuster fits in. This does not look right, even though it's a sealed bearing. What I really need is one of those Haynes style exploded views showing where everything fits. I have a half-width steel hub which seems standard. I feel life should not be this difficult. Any tips, anyone?
      JW has pointed you in the right direction. Can I ask who is Greeves Racing?

Comment

Thank you hugely John, I now have the diagram printed out and I can see exactly those parts that are missing. I can cobble together a temporary oil seal and I may have to turn a new spacer or two. Greevesracing is actually part of the email address of Greeves Motorcycles Ltd, the makers of the Anglian replica, which is how I list it on my computer! I shouldn't complain about life being difficult, it was certainly much more difficult before the advent of the internet and brilliant forums like this.

Comment

And you actually got them to supply you with a part? They have a poor reputation on here.

Comment

I had picked up that vibe in club circles generally. However, I couldn't find a spindle anywhere else, and the correct part including half and full nuts arrived promptly.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryS View Post
              Thank you hugely John, I now have the diagram printed out and I can see exactly those parts that are missing. I can cobble together a temporary oil seal and I may have to turn a new spacer or two. Greevesracing is actually part of the email address of Greeves Motorcycles Ltd, the makers of the Anglian replica, which is how I list it on my computer! I shouldn't complain about life being difficult, it was certainly much more difficult before the advent of the internet and brilliant forums like this.
              As the person who spent a lot of time and effort scanning and digitally cleaning up all those hub drawings, created the thread, researched and posted the info and uploaded it all on the forum.....well, nice to know it was appreciated....

Brian.

Comment

You do a good job Brian I think I've got lot of the stuff you have uploaded safely stored on my hard drive for future reference. I'm glad too that you are well on the mend.

Regards,
                David.

Comment

Working...
                X