Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking To Understand The Differences Between Pathfinder Enduro And Trials Models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking To Understand The Differences Between Pathfinder Enduro And Trials Models.

I just picked up a 72 enduro trim Pathfinder. Would like to convert to trials, there is not a lot of difference, tank, seat, front fender mount ... but what else? Sounds like some of you might have both? Mine has the Bosch capacitor and another electronic device in a round can, like an oversized film canister (or larger aluminum salt shaker). Don't see that on pictures of the trials models. Anyone know of more differences??

Also, would love to find the small trial tank ... anyone got a spare they'd like to sell?

Neal

Washington State -USA

Hi Neal,

I've moved your post here and started a new thread so as to keep the previous one 'on topic' as much as possible.

Thank you for your interest in the forum. You'll find there is lots of help and information available within the club, including it's extensive archive which includes everything from factory parts drawings to machine specifications and loads more besides.

Understandably, access to this is only available to GRA members. Without a doubt GRA membership is certainly the way forward, and after all no club=no forum... Should you be interested in joining the club, further information can be found here;

The Greeves Riders Association is the international one-make club, based in England, for those interested in Greeves motorcycles. The purpose is to help Greeves enthusiasts keep in touch, to share information about Greeves motorcycles and to encourage their restoration, preservation and use. Activities in which members participate include road racing, sprinting, motocross and trials, and …

GRA members can also upgrade their forum membership from 'Basic User' to 'GRA Member', and can then access all the member's only sections of the forum including 'Sales and Wants', which is the appropriate place for wanted ads. You could then also place a wanted ad for parts you need in 'Leading Link', the club magazine and try that.

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 29/09/2010, 01:16 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Pathfinder

Hi Jeepster, I have come across this link http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...h-trials-1970/
      to Trials Central forum. There are some pics & info on the Pathfinder. Might be worth putting a post on there.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Jeepster View Post
        I just picked up a 72 enduro trim Pathfinder. Would like to convert to trials, there is not a lot of difference, tank, seat, front fender mount ... but what else? Sounds like some of you might have both? Mine has the Bosch capacitor and another electronic device in a round can, like an oversized film canister (or larger aluminum salt shaker). Don't see that on pictures of the trials models. Anyone know of more differences??

Also, would love to find the small trial tank ... anyone got a spare they'd like to sell?

Neal

Washington State -USA
        Welcome Neal,

By chance is this the Pathfinder that came out of Canada?

Both the trials and Enduro have the Bosch canister mounted near the seat.

The only difference that I know of is that the Enduro version has a 19 inch rear rim, maybe different triple clamps that were flamed cut out steel to change the fork angle a little...not sure on that one, also lower mounted folding footrest and a different location of the brake pedal.

A fiberglass Anglian seat base might be the same for the Pathfinder trials.

I have no idea on the transmission ratios.

Finding a smaller trials alloy tank could be a challenge.

Kenny Sykes
        USA

Comment

Pathfinder pics

I have found this link to loads of Pathfinder pics, unfortunatley most do not open up to a decent size

Comment

John, thanks for the pic’s link. Between your pic’s and Kenny’s description I’m well on my way to figuring this thing out. Kenny you must be spending way too much time on Craigs List to know where I found this gem. Yes I did buy it in Vancouver BC, I live in NW Washington State so it was just an hour away.

My plan is to convert it to a trials spec … replace the tank, seat, gearing and peg location. Mine has a 18” rear wheel so that will be no change. Got some pretty big rim dents so I’ll probably look for some used wheels on Craigs & E-Bay. Finding a tank is probably a needle in a hay stack … but I had to ask.

I’m pretty handy with wood working and may make a form and lay up a fiber glass “replica” if need be.

Comment

Fibre Glass Tank

I’m pretty handy with wood working and may make a form and lay up a fiber glass “replica” if need be.
              In view of the problems with ethanol in petrol disolving fibreglass this may not be a good idea.

Comment

Pity you don't live in England, I would do you a straight swap.You can replace all the electrical gubbins with a unit from the Rotax 2 stroke engines. Must be plenty available in the USA

Comment

Originally posted by 67Jeepster View Post
                  John, thanks for the pic’s link. Between your pic’s and Kenny’s description I’m well on my way to figuring this thing out. Kenny you must be spending way too much time on Craigs List to know where I found this gem. Yes I did buy it in Vancouver BC, I live in NW Washington State so it was just an hour away.

My plan is to convert it to a trials spec … replace the tank, seat, gearing and peg location. Mine has a 18” rear wheel so that will be no change. Got some pretty big rim dents so I’ll probably look for some used wheels on Craigs & E-Bay. Finding a tank is probably a needle in a hay stack … but I had to ask.

Neal,

I received the lead on your Pathfinder from a friend up in your area...you got "the steal of the year award"!

Join the club and post some pictures...we like pictures.

Me and Stormer will help you out in your restoration I'm sure.

I'll keep an eye out for a PF trials tank for you down here in California as well.

Keep us all posted and maybe I'll see you at a Pacific North West event sometime.

Kenny Sykes

Comment

I been searching for this un-loved Greeves model since my youth ... used to look at the on the floor at Flint Indiana Sales in Flint, Michigan lusting for one as a replacement to my generic TL125. When I happened on this one on craigslist for such a price I couldn't resist. I'm not in a position to put the time in right now but for $300 US I knew I'd kick myself until my grave it I didn't go for it.

I'm sure I'll need to pick your brains more than once to get this figured out. Right now I need to focus on the wiring, I see cuts and splits and my "salt shaker" capacitor storage can is fatigue cracked and needs replacement. I started the bike at night the other day and noticed sparks timed with the power pulses flying between the can in the frame. Does that can need grounding or isolation? Perhaps the Rotax widget the Stormer recommends would clean up this install?

I'll post pics soon,

PS>Here a link describing the auction when FIS when out of business ... several Patfinders in un-started condition were sold ... as well as the tank I'm looking for!

Comment

The widget is a combined H T coil and electronics. It replaces every thing you just connect the wires from the generator, I mounted mine under the fuel tank where the original H T coil was. The bike has been a first kick starter ever since. I have even lent the bike to friends, because I know it is so reliable. I am touching wood!

Comment

Differences between Pathfinder Trials and Enduro models.

For more on this topic, have a look at this recent thread; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=3184

Also, have a look at this thread for an example of a really nicely restored trials model; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...0538#post10538

Brian.
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 06/04/2012, 12:31 AM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Pathfinder

There's an amusing story about the "bean can" holding the electronics. When Greeves first started selling spares for the Pathfinder, the actual can was hideously expensive for just an aluminium can. The spares department later found that they were basing their price on a quantity of 10. They still sold though. I remember that the infamous draw key, which wore alarmingly, sold for £1 and a complete cluster of 12 gears sold for £14 - happy days.

Druid

Comment

Draw key, Druid? Wazzat?

Comment

Pathfinder draw key

Brian,
                              Unlike most gearboxes where the sides of the gears are dogged to engage with adjoining gears the Pathfinder had dogs on the insides of the gears. The gear cluster mainshaft had a slot in which ran the draw key to engage with the insides of the gears. Moving the gear lever ran this drawkey up and down the mainshaft to engage with whichever gear you selected. A neat idea but unfortunately the draw key only had effectively 2 dogs for all the changes and there were plenty necessary with the Pathfinder. This meant that the draw key ended up doing an awful lot of work, hence the rapid wear.

For a picture go to my albums. The draw key is item 159.

Druid

Comment

Working...
                              X