24TDS scottish side stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24TDS scottish side stand

Hello there i am looking for some advice. I bought a side stand the sort that fits inside the engine plates but has someone got a photo or can explain how i attach it to the engine plates and where the spring attaches.
    Thanks in advance
    Stevefromleicester

Does this help?

how to screen capture

Comment

24TD side stand

Having fitted and refitted my side stand a few times recently I think you will find the picture very helpful but a few words might also be useful. The main tip passed on from a very experienced Greeves rider is that dont fit the stand then try to get the spring on. Fit the spring and C piece onto the peg on the engine plate, attach to the stand then use the stand as a lever to get it into place to fit the pivot bolt and bush. Also I found it very beneficial to slacken off all the engine plate bolts to give a lot more room to get the stand in with its bush and to align the bolt holes. Put the bolt in then tighten up the engine plates. As my bike is on rebuild and the tank was off and gearbox/primary drive empty found it very useful just to lay the bike on its side to enable me to fit the stand, spring and C piece with good access and not fighting gravity too much. One last point I bought a new spring off a well known supplier of Greeves parts (NOT Villiers Services) and found the loops on the spring ends were far too big and the spring kept coming off the peg on the engine plates when the stand was operated. Fitted the spring which came with the stand (bought off a fellow Pre 65 Trials Observer) and with the smaller loops has not come off since. Not difficult just fiddly.
      PS the Greeves spring drawing shows the end loops in line with each other, it would actually be a better engineered job in my opinion if one end was twisted 90 deg from the other, that way there would not be any force trying to twist it off the front peg. Just a thought.
      Last edited by 350biker; 24/05/2018, 11:45 AM.
      Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Side stand

Thank you so much for that photo and description exactly what i needed.
        What a great club this is!
        Stevefromleicester

Comment

Side stand

I just need to make the c shaped bit but i can see what it looks like.
          Cheers
          Stevefromleicester

Comment

Scottish Side Stand 'C' thingy....

Here you go Steve, another thread with a handy post and pic from Simon (trialrider17)...see post 3; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ish+side+stand

Hope it helps,

Brian.

Comment

Nice work Brian, how you remember where all this stuff is....quiet impressive, i don`t know where the forum would be without you....well done....

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                Nice work Brian, how you remember where all this stuff is....
                .......I prefer the traditional methods bud.....

bRiAn.
                Attached Files

Comment

Side stand 'C' thingy.....another pic.

Hi Steve,

Here's another pic posted by NZPeterb that may help with seeing the shape a bit better as it's 'in the flat'.....http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...=9355#post9355

Brian.

Comment

I have a 1959 Scottish which I may or may not restore, it’s all there and I have started putting it back together after many years of it languishing in my shed. I just cannot remember how to put the side stand down, don’t laugh I last rode it in 1978. Do I lean over and push it down by hand? I can’t seem to get my foot on it.
                    I may be obvious but I had a feeling I could put it down using my foot.

Comment

If it is fitted correctly and with a new strong spring it is tucked away underneath and it is difficult to get your boot onto it to put it down. I have to use my hand to get it down. I understand in the day most of them got removed for serious competition due to fouling various items of scenery.
                      Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

My machine had a base plate welded between the side plates, therefore impossible to fit the correct sidestand .I got very fed up of always trying to find somewhere to prop up the bike whilst I surveyed a section that I decided some form of sidestand was necessary. Now I was very loath to do any permanent mods that I went searching for a suitable clamp on stand. I eventually found one that clamps on the swing arm, not ideal and it took some time to get properly adjusted, but it does work. Cannot remember where I obtained it.
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X