X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 1960 24 Td abd 24tds

Can someone tell me the differences between a 24 td and a 24 tds thanks
    Steve

I don't think there was a 24TD, Steve. There was the 20TD and 24TDS, being the 197 & 246cc variants.

Ian

Comment

Must have been a special I have 2 24TE bikes listed as surviving

24TD117 751EUW 1962 UK seen Faversham Car Show 8/11
      24TD118 reg unknown 1962 UK Grimsby from Villiers Services 11/17
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/05/2018, 01:36 PM. Reason: year date corrected to 1962

Comment

My mistake. I have spotted the 24TD in 1962 production lists, starting with 24TD101. I wasn't looking for them that late! By 1962 the 24TE and TES had taken over from the TDS, so maybe the 24TD was a parts-bin budget model, using up the old frames and forks? It is not listed before 1962. The numbers of the two you have are very low John, so I doubt many more than a handful were made. It was probably just a redesignation of the TDS, Greeves dropping the 'S', because on the new model TES, the 'S' indicated an alloy barrel, tank etc.
        Although those two you have listed as being 1961, the numbering was for the model year 1962.

Comment

Ian. Thanks for pointing out the date error (now corrected) There may be another 24TD, that owned by 'rapos7' http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...highlight=24TD
          I am awaiting his confirmation of the full number.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/05/2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

They could have been manufactured in late'61, as both my 24TE and 24TES were, although the records show that model started in 1962.

Comment

24TD118 details

John and Ian C
              My 24TD118 is now registered 439UYW. It was originally registered 536VPJ and first registered 20 09 1961. Colin has found it was delivered on 15 September 1961 so presumably made just before then. This falls in line with the quoted info that Greeves changed their model years in the September, as did a lot of car manufacturers at that time I believe.
              Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Thanks for that info 350biker, sad that original reg 536VPJ is now on a 2017 Jag

Comment

Greeves TD

Good Morning All,

My TD's frame number is TD111.

Thanks,

Ross

Comment

Thanks Ross. It is late evening here!

If I understand correctly, we only have 3 x 24TD models known to us; 111, 117 & 118. We know the numbering started at 101, so all low numbers. I suspect there weren't many made.

Comment

I must admit that I thought I'd made a mistake with Steve's identication when I checked the 1961 brochure, because the 24TD doesn't appear in it, only the 20TD and the 24TDS.

However there are 101 machines on the UK sheets headed "24TD". Most of them have 61/**** numbers and were dispatched from September 1960 onwards. There are only 7 with 24TD*** numbers, most dispatched in late 1961, the last in February '62.

I have no information about how the model differed from the 24TDS. Possibly cosmetically, but I'd rather not speculate.
                      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 02/05/2018, 07:36 AM.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Interestingly Colin, the 61/.... numbered 24TD models do not appear in either your list of Greeves Models, or in the Carrick/Walker 'Frame Numbers' page. These are realistically the only two sources available to those of us who do not have access to dispatch records. What numbers do the 61/.... numbered 24TD models commence with? The 20TD starts 61/1000, the 24TDS 61/1300, so did the 24TD have it's own sequence prior to the late-1961 24TD 101, or are they mixed in with the 24TDS numbers?

Simultaneously with the 24TD101 sequence numbers commencing, it appears the 24TDS model was dropped.

Ian

Comment

24TD or 24TDS.

The bike i have has frame number 61/1406
                          Dispatched to Comerfords on 30 September 1960.
                          If its down on the dispatch records as a 24TD then thats what
                          I will call it from now on !
                          Thank you all for your assistance
                          Stevefromleicester

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                            Interestingly Colin, the 61/.... numbered 24TD models do not appear in either your list of Greeves Models, or in the Carrick/Walker 'Frame Numbers' page. These are realistically the only two sources available to those of us who do not have access to dispatch records. What numbers do the 61/.... numbered 24TD models commence with? The 20TD starts 61/1000, the 24TDS 61/1300, so did the 24TD have it's own sequence prior to the late-1961 24TD 101, or are they mixed in with the 24TDS numbers?

Simultaneously with the 24TD101 sequence numbers commencing, it appears the 24TDS model was dropped.

Ian
                            The TD 61/ numbers are mixed up with the TDS numbers. It looks as if the factory stamped them all as trials machines and then put them in separate files once they had decided which spec - or tank colour - or whatever - they were to be built up as.

Ian, the paper dispatch records are not in numerical order and I don't have time right now to go through the TD and TDS numbers looking for the lowest. As things stand at present I don't have a computerised version of those records - although I will be rectifying that it due course.
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

The numbering of the 24TD models in the same sequence as the TDS does explain how this model in a sense got missed. The TA and TAS differed in that the TAS had an uprated engine specification, presumably with changes to porting and combustion chamber, the only other difference being a dull chrome tank rather than a painted one. Maybe the TD and TDS had similar differences? If anyone has any sales brochures of the model they may hold the key. It would be good to see them posted on here if so.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X