Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size of rear number plate for a TA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size of rear number plate for a TA ?

Hi,
    John has informed me I have the wrong shape numberplate on the rear of my 1958 816TA Scotish.
    Does anyone know the exact size and text it should be so I can have the correct shape and size made, thank's.
    Regards,
    Andrew.

Rear Numberplate for a '58 TA.

Hi Andrew,

I'm 99.9% positive there is a drawing of the correct numberplate for your bike in the club factory drawing archive. All GRA members can access this service and obtain copies of relevant drawings (if they exist for the part in question) by contacting Rob-for more details see advert in 'Leading Link'.

Once you have a copy of the relevant drawing, it should be relatively straightforward to have one fabricated to original spec.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

Comment

Rear number plate

Needs to be about 7ins square, original made out of aluminium (I am sure the club have a drawing for it, contact Rob) with letters/numbers 2.5 inches tall. I think you can still buy white plastic stick on numbers. Many riders replaced them with a rubber one as it stood up to the rigers of trials riding better. Just cut it from a piece of 1/4in rubber sheet.

Comment

Rear Number Plates for Scottish models.

It's also worth noting that there were two types produced for early Scottish trials models, a plain 'square' type as John describes and a two-peice type which incorporated a brazed on bracket to mount the rear lamp if the optional lighting set was fitted to the bike.

As the later was composed of two fabrications there are factory drawings to cover each component as well as for the complete assembly.

Brian.

Comment

Thank's Brian.
          Did Greeves supply any user hand books for my model? If so is it possible to get a copy. I did obtain a Villers engine maintenance from the previous owner.
          Lastly he also let me have an extra set of tires but the ones on the bike look OK. Is the any way one can tell the age of tires, maybe by manufactures info on the side wall? Any suggestions?
          Regards,
          Andrew.

Comment

You're most welcome Andrew.

I would have thought there should be copies of both a 'parts book' and an 'instruction manual' for the TA, once again available throught the club-see the relevent ad in 'LL'.

As for tyres, I'm not too sure on how to check the age from the sidewall markings, but there has been an interesting recent thread on the topic of tyres in 'General Greeves Chat', here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=1410

Hope this helps!

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2010, 02:41 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

The standard rear number plate for trials bikes was made of rubber , a proper moulding , the drawing is in the Club's files .

It was even extended for the extra year letter in 1963 .

Never was an alloy plate .

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, great to hear from you and hope you're doing ok!

Thanks for the info, as always. I had a check through my drawings and the the items I was reffering to were M13/X38 (plain type) and KM13/B (rear lamp bracket type, w-assy.)

Dave Pink was looking into having a batch of the 'pukka' rubber moulded type you mention and we had a natter about it as I was interested in getting one for my TCS. Apparently, the club did have a batch produced by 'Jim Hunter Engineering' (M/C rubber products, etc) but his son has since taken over the company and wasn't sure if the molds still existed. The word from Dave was not hopeful, sadly....

Brian.

Comment

Once again I would like to thank everyone for being so helpful.
                  I think to have a "pukka" molded numberplate made is going to work out costly unless a batch is required for a group of people. My best bet then as suggested by John is to make one from 1/4 rubber sheet.
                  I will contact rob concerning an instruction manual ect.
                  Regards,
                  Andrew.

Comment

Originally posted by starman View Post
                    Thank's Brian.
                    Did Greeves supply any user hand books for my model? If so is it possible to get a copy. I did obtain a Villers engine maintenance from the previous owner.
                    Lastly he also let me have an extra set of tires but the ones on the bike look OK. Is the any way one can tell the age of tires, maybe by manufactures info on the side wall? Any suggestions?
                    Regards,
                    Andrew.
                    If the tyres look ok ie good tread, no cuts or cracks, I would leave them. If you are going to use the bike for pre 65 trials then you obviously need very good tread, you may then need to replace them. The ACU have strict regulations for approved makes & types. This link may be of use. http://www.google.co.uk/products?rlz...ed=0CC4QrQQwAA
                    As for number plates again unless you are going to 'show' the bike & want it original as it came from the factory, a standard rubber number plate to the size I gave is perfectly adequate & many ended up with these. Only the 'rivet' counters will moan, but its your bike, have it as you want. I only picked up on the number plate because the one in it when you bought it appeared to be illegal size.
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/08/2010, 05:57 PM.

Comment

'Pukka' Greeves Trials Rubber Numberplate pic.

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                      Hi Chris, great to hear from you and hope you're doing ok!

Thanks for the info, as always. I had a check through my drawings and the the items I was reffering to were M13/X38 (plain type) and KM13/B (rear lamp bracket type, w-assy.)

Dave Pink was looking into having a batch of the 'pukka' rubber moulded type you mention and we had a natter about it as I was interested in getting one for my TCS. Apparently, the club did have a batch produced by 'Jim Hunter Engineering' (M/C rubber products, etc) but his son has since taken over the company and wasn't sure if the molds still existed. The word from Dave was not hopeful, sadly....

Brian.
                      Here's a pic of the 'genuine' item as mentioned by Chris, taken of a member's bike at a show. Sorry about the quality of the image and I've also 'blacked-out' the reg. number for security reasons. Hope it at least gives you the idea Andrew. They do come up on EBay very occasionally, but there is always a bidding scramble and they usually end up going for £30 plus....!

Incidently, I think it's Tim Griffin who does the manuals and parts books on behalf of the club; details in 'LL'.

Brian.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2010, 08:14 PM.

Comment

John,
                        I am "glad" you mentioned to me the numberplate. Something made me think it looked a bit strange. I will change it to a square one in the way you suggested.
                        Regarding the tires they do look in good condition I have no plan to ride it in trials at present. It would be a great shame to put dents into such a well preserved bike don't you think
                        Regards,
                        Andrew.

Comment

Thank's Brian,
                          for the info' and taking the time to provide a photo.
                          Regards,
                          Andrew.

Comment

My pleasure Andrew, and it was no trouble at all.

Glad to help out if I can.

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by starman View Post
                              Thank's Brian.
                              Regards,
                              Andrew.
                              There is a reprinted TAS/TD manual on eBay at present http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-greeves-20t...-/280546109566

Comment

Working...
                              X