Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BHC Speedo Drive Gear-How do you get it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BHC Speedo Drive Gear-How do you get it off?

The speedo drive gear in the tin hub - the one with the left hand thread. Has anyone got a foolproof method of removing it without damaging the teeth?

We left it on...

Hi Buzzer,

I AM BY NO MEANS A "PROFESSIONAL" HERE....just want to start with that. I have been in on an MCS restore....for some strange reason this MCS had a speedo cable and houseing (?word?) on the back wheel. There was no speedo though...the cable was thrashed....so we removed the cable and left the black speedo housing as if removed would leave an unsightly hole in the hub.

I hope that makes sense, and sorry it's not the solution you were looking for...hope it helps though. My hubby on the road, he's home tomorrow afternoon and I will have him read your post...he may be able to better answer you...I do know we had it off at some point during the restore, my Dad removed it and put it back on, if it's the same part we are speaking of.

I'll get back to you and good luck
    Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
      Hi Buzzer,

I AM BY NO MEANS A "PROFESSIONAL" HERE....just want to start with that. I have been in on an MCS restore....for some strange reason this MCS had a speedo cable and houseing (?word?) on the back wheel. There was no speedo though...the cable was thrashed....so we removed the cable and left the black speedo housing as if removed would leave an unsightly hole in the hub.

I hope that makes sense, and sorry it's not the solution you were looking for...hope it helps though. My hubby on the road, he's home tomorrow afternoon and I will have him read your post...he may be able to better answer you...I do know we had it off at some point during the restore, my Dad removed it and put it back on, if it's the same part we are speaking of.

I'll get back to you and good luck
      Tammy
      Thanks for that - the gear is the 42 tooth one, that is in the hub around the wheel spindle - I guess someone must have made a device to remove it, although it's not something you would need to do very often!

Comment

greeves speedo drive gear.

Hi Buzzer, I have recently removed and replaced the speedo drive gear in the tin hub rear wheel. The most important thing to realise is that its a LEFT HAND THREAD. You should be able to start it to unscrew with a hard wood drift and a medium size hammer. Failing this I have in fact made a tool which is successful for the more stubborn one. If you require details I can send you a photo of this. If you damage your gear I have a spare one available as I made two when I needed one for my machine.
        Best of luck
        Mike Edwards GRA member

Comment

getting it off

Hi Buzzer, I have recently removed and replaced the speedo drive gear in the tin hub rear wheel. The most important thing to realise is that its a LEFT HAND THREAD. You should be able to start it to unscrew with a hard wood drift and a medium size hammer. Failing this I have in fact made a tool which is successful for the more stubborn one. If you require details I can send you a photo of this. If you damage your gear I have a spare one available as I made two when I needed one for my machine.
          Best of luck
          Mike Edwards GRA member[/QUOTE]

Comment

Thanks for that Mike - I have sent you a PM.

Comment

Kitchen sink solution

I raided the kitchen cabinet and used the gadget for removing tight screw caps on jam-jars - the type like a pair of scissors with curved jaws that grip the cap.
              Worked a treat once I remembered it was LH thread, the teeth can be protected with rag or tape, and mine wasn't too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gudgeon View Post
                I raided the kitchen cabinet and used the gadget for removing tight screw caps on jam-jars - the type like a pair of scissors with curved jaws that grip the cap.
                Worked a treat once I remembered it was LH thread, the teeth can be protected with rag or tape, and mine wasn't too tight.
                Gudgeon - you are going to get me into trouble with Mrs Buzzer!! I've only just been forgiven for the chain boiling exercise. Seriously though, I like your lateral thinking - it's worth a try when she's not looking.

Comment

The ole MCS had 2 or 3 clips on the speedo gear

Hi guys,
                  Sounds like yall have it..In Daves 24 hrs off (in which we drove 8 hrs for to save another dirtbike destined for the scrap pile...not a Greeves and not even technically a vintage..yet, she needs a few years(shes only 14 yrs old)...I did get her gone through and running though(able to surprise hubby tonight...hehe, its like an addiction for me...they call me from the shop...begging to be resurected..I just can't keep away from them, even when I promise to stay in out of the heat or clean the closets....ok babbles, sorry)

POINT: He mumbled something about the speedo gear/housing on the rear hub on our MCS having several clips that he had to remove, then it screwed right on out...he fought it a few minutes before realizing the left part..plus as I said we had no cable....Hope any of my rambles helps!

Have a good one...do let us know how it all "comes out"!
                  Tammy in KY
                  Last edited by tammyanddaveky; 10/08/2010, 03:13 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzer View Post
                    Gudgeon - you are going to get me into trouble with Mrs Buzzer!! I've only just been forgiven for the chain boiling exercise. Seriously though, I like your lateral thinking - it's worth a try when she's not looking.
                    I LOVE IT GUYS...I am in trouble that way too, more than I like to admit...I wanted to bring the MCS inside..even moved the furniture around so she could have a good window spot...was affraid of her getting bumped with all the working in the shop and the many "projects" going on....Dave threw a fit when he caught me trying to get her in the deck door. I gave in...FUMES SMUMES I SAY...What doesn't kill ya now a days!

Most recently we "saved" another bike as I mentioned...well it got soo hot in the shop despite the fans etc and the garage...I was very close to putting cardboard down in the dinning room or living room and pulling her apart in there...sure would be easy to find those little carb needle clips..LOL!

Another note...have to admitt, I was the one who filled an empty coffee tin with gas and soaked the chain in it for a few days, then another coffee tin with a good oil and soaked it for...a long time, Dave popped the lid thinking I had set out a new can of coffee...boy was he in for a shock, not to mention he had torn the shop apart looking for the chain...Can't for the life of me remember why I brought the concotion inside, think I was affraid it would get misplaced or something....

Just glad to see other folks thinking along the same lines...
                    Take care,
                    Tammy in KY

Comment

Kitchen Capers

Sorry Mr Buzzer, jam-jar gadget only works on 'Old English Thick Cut' jars and full width hubs where the gear is close to the brake plate, the gear is too deep into the tin hubs to get purchase on it.
                      Can I assume that Mrs Buzzer would be aghast at my keeping a (dismantled) James Comet in the Wardrobe?

Comment

Domestic Science!

Ha ha! Good one Gudgeon!

I, like Buzzer, admire your lateral thinking with this problem though, and it got me pondering if something like one of these rubber-banded strap wrenches ('Gator Grip') might do the job? They come in several sizes (try 'Lakeland', and don't ask me how I know this!), and maybe the smaller one might just squeeze inside a tin hub, albeit on a bit of an angle? Anyhow, I've enclosed a pic to give the idea of how big the smaller version is, with a matchbox in shot for scale.

The 'thump-ommeter' at the bottom of the pic is there to serve as a reminder to us all of the possible consequences should we be 'discovered' in our search for 'alternative domestic impliments'...(note 'dents' on the left of device, a direct result from when I was caught red handed the last time...!)

Brian.

Brian.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The original factory made tool for fitting & removing the sprocket , was made by cutting a drive ring in three parts & welding the three parts into a metal ring and fitting an extenede handle .

The cut up ring made a mirror image spanner to fit the hub ring .

Chris

Comment

Speedo Drive Ring Removal

I've had to take a few off, for replacement or in rebuilds, etc,. and, if they do not move by gentle jarring with a soft drift, (Alloy/Brass), then I always apply gentle heat from my welding gun. Of course I've taken the bearings, etc., out first. It always works for me....

Comment

Wardrobes etc.

Originally posted by Gudgeon View Post
                              Sorry Mr Buzzer, jam-jar gadget only works on 'Old English Thick Cut' jars and full width hubs where the gear is close to the brake plate, the gear is too deep into the tin hubs to get purchase on it.
                              Can I assume that Mrs Buzzer would be aghast at my keeping a (dismantled) James Comet in the Wardrobe?
                              Gudgeon - Mrs Buzzer would only permit fully assembled James Comets to be kept in her wardrobe - that is why mine had to go!

Seriously, it is great to be able to draw on such a fund of expertise via the forum, even to the extent of "how it was done at the factory" (Chris). Thank you all; your help is very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X