Tfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tfs

A pic of my recently restored TFS. I can't take much credit for it, as most of that goes to Paul Powell (http://www.cottonvilliersspares.co.uk) who I would strongly recommend. More to come about the machine, maybe in Leading Link Tomorrow we're going to Belgium to compete in the Mons classic trial.
    Attached Files

Very nice and very shiny. Never mind, soon get some Belgian mud on it!

I'm currently doing a TFS and I've put banana forks on it. I wonder how they'd compare with your teles.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Well I'll have to stop looking at it and get it dirty at some point

I'll post a report on the event somewhere.

Comment

Very smart Ian. Ally guards transform the looks. One observation on the seat. A bit too high, unless you have long legs. Good luck in Belgium.

Comment

I wondered how long it would take before I got the first 'observation'.
          Last edited by ian640; 11/11/2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Seat height

Based on riding my TFS in over 300 trials.......

Comment

I see. The seat may be addressed in the next phase. I wonder why they were mounted like that in the first place?

Comment

TFS Evolution

The TFS rear sub frame was a direct carryover from the 1964 TES. A lot more road miles in those days and a need for what passed for a seat.

Fitting longer units to allow the suspension to work more efficiently brought about the need to lower the seat height. I cut the bracket down to make a pair of mounting point for my simple sheet ally seat covered in closed cell rubber. A reduction of about 65mm in seat height compared to standard.

Comment

Good bit of info phil, helps others to be aware of the pitfalls & is cheaper than trial & error......

Comment

Cheers Dave

Yes, lots of information available still to come.

Comment

Experience.....

Likewise Phil, great info.

I had never heard of that one before, interestin' stuff.

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by ian640 View Post
                        I see. The seat may be addressed in the next phase. I wonder why they were mounted like that in the first place?
                        I guess I have the same issue with the seat. I don't really want to start altering the rear sub frame, so I may just have to live with it. Is that a Wassel seat Ian?
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Seat Dilemma

Colin

Sawing the seat bracket down is a bit of a radical step. I have kept the section that I removed which could be welded back on if I ever needed to return to stock/factory.

My approach has been one of development. I still have lots of ideas, the next of which will be a hydraulic clutch. No doubt a few purists will wince engineering is king.

Keeping your seat standard should have no affect on the rideability. The TFS is in my opinion the best trials Greeves.

Phil

Comment

The hydraulic clutch conversion appeals to me being a TFS owner. On the Greeves website, the Pathfinder model advertised (based on the Anglian /Wessex models) says it has a hydraulic clutch. Could be relatively straighforward, the part to find being a slave cylinder from the many different models of modern trials bike and making an adapter to interface with the Villiers gearbox. With that in mind I am going to examine the clutch slave setup on my 125 Gasgas for starters. I wonder what Richard Deal used on the Pathfinder.....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                              The TFS rear sub frame was a direct carryover from the 1964 TES. A lot more road miles in those days and a need for what passed for a seat.

Fitting longer units to allow the suspension to work more efficiently brought about the need to lower the seat height. I cut the bracket down to make a pair of mounting point for my simple sheet ally seat covered in closed cell rubber. A reduction of about 65mm in seat height compared to standard.
                              Thanks Phil. My apologies if I came across a little tetchy.

I will probably retain the stock set-up as it's likely that the machine will be used in road trials/LDTs. The seat didn't seem to cause me much of a problem at the weekend and sitting down between sections the riding position was quite comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X