TFS TRAil for the Exeter Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFS TRAil for the Exeter Trial

I took both the TFS Trails out for a spin today, the older looking one must have better gearing as it seems quicker, both Amal carburettors.

Ian has been asking if I am going to do the Exeter Trail in January
    Well I have joined the MCC and just need to decide on which route. As it is the first one and it is January I will probably do the short 160milesnot the long 250 miles
    I am use to hot countries for riding and the middle of the night in January takes some doing, probably be as wet as the Cumbria meet

I will hopefully use the rough looking TFS which will be Green by then and have a few modifications like a rack and a headlight that is brighter than a box of swan vesta matches

Is anyone else planning to take part in this trial?

Hi Tony,

Good effort on signing up. Nothing wrong with doing the shorter route, especially if it's your first attempt. You may find the sections a bit tame on a bike like the TFS, but equally the roadwork may be a challenge.

I'll be starting from Cirencester and doing the main route (the shorter class O route will start from the Haynes museum), and I'm happy to have newcomers ride round with me. For other starts it's possible for newcomers to be paired up with old hands. If no-one else replies to your post let me know and we'll see what we can do to sort things out.

As discussed there's talk of a Greeves team for MCC events for 2018, maybe for next year too.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

Here is a taster from the Lands End in 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uVyBXKpp_o
      and 2016 even some Honda 90cc Cubs in this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLxanm6o7aw
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/10/2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Exeter trial

John I think this is the trial Tony is going to do .Good luck Tony I am sure you will enjoy it . The lands end one at Easter may have better weatherand its the one Captain Rob & Mike Tizzard does.

Simon

Comment

Some clips of the motorcycles from 2012 Exeter Trial. Simms is THE hill in this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1TptqQDpLY
          Simms looks even more ferocious than Blue Hills in the Lands End. The TFS should be a good bike for the event, trials based bikes certainly have it over the heavy 'Adventure' type bikes. & sidecars are definitely a no no.
          Surprisingly there were no Greeves in the 2012 event, well at least in the video.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/10/2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Certainly the TFS should be a good ride. For me, the Banana forks would be better, just don't load it down with extra fuel cans, just an easy method of adding oil which you will need to carry....unless you can arrange a joint service vehicle with a few others.
            I have marshalled on these events, but never competed. Reversing a Land Rover back down a dark hairpin to pull a broken car out of a bush was interesting!
            I seem to remember that the Stroud club ran some great events that we attended in official roles many years back.

Comment

The films of either (or the Edinburgh, the other one of the MCC's big three) give a good flavour of what to expect.

Here's a couple (from the Land's End) giving a rider's perspective:
              London to Lands End Trial running since 1908Great event very dry on the sections but very cold through the night minus 4 degrees over exmoor! Blue hills spec...

Simms can be a challenge, especially when wet, but should be fine on a TFS. We rode it last weekend in the Moor-to-Sea trial (on small trail bikes) and they routed us up and down one side of the hill to make it a bit more challenging. Simms is only used on the main route but there is an easier section to one side used for the easier class O.

Mike T has fielded a Triumph engined Greeves solo in the past. There's a thread about another Greeves in the Land's End here: http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4324. Hopefully a Greeves (or GRA) team coming....
              Last edited by ian640; 17/10/2016, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Ian, the thread about the Greeves in the Lands End I put in when I lived in North Devon right opposite the Beggars Roost section and a group of us from the village provided bacon butties cake and tea (for a local charity) at the stop which was in Barbrook .the only trouble it was from midnight to five in the morning ,but good fun.The guy riding the Greeves Lorenzo Timms rides motocross as well and was riding at Mortimer on a CZ in the pre74 class.
                Simon

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                  Ian, the thread about the Greeves in the Lands End I put in when I lived in North Devon right opposite the Beggars Roost section and a group of us from the village provided bacon butties cake and tea (for a local charity) at the stop which was in Barbrook .the only trouble it was from midnight to five in the morning ,but good fun.The guy riding the Greeves Lorenzo Timms rides motocross as well and was riding at Mortimer on a CZ in the pre74 class.
                  Simon
                  I noted it was your thread so thanks for posting, and for the bacon butties as well (I was one of the recipients). The stop at Barbrook is always well received.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    Here is a taster from the Lands End in 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uVyBXKpp_o
                    and 2016 even some Honda 90cc Cubs in this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLxanm6o7aw
                    John,

Did you ever ride the MCC trials? I seem to recall reading a thread about either you competing, or your bike having been used in the events but can't find it now.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

No never did the MCC trials but did the Welsh 2 Day trial from 1972 to 1979 with some success, but not on a Greeves. Bultaco Sherpa 250, Saracen 125 ISDT (ex Mick Bowers works bike GJH 60K) 125 Rickman ISDT & finished up (1978/9) on an XT 500 Yamaha. Also in Wales did the Beacons Enduro.
                      Also did one day trials in the South Midland & Eastern Centre. plus the Aldermaston Nomads one day ISDT type event which covered some 100 plus miles starting & finishing at AWRE Aldermaston. This event was used as a 'try out' for the British ISDT team. (Brian Catt will remember that). A superb event that used a lot of army land & green lanes. It became a victim of the RAC Rally regulations.
                      Some pics of me at the Welsh 2 Day in this thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hlight=Saracen
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/10/2016, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Fascinating, I've heard that era called the golden age of enduros. Did my first Welsh last year, in fact my first ever enduro, age approaching 50 . I heard of the Aldermaston event, I think from a senior mate of mine, Sid Hill it's a shame it's disappeared. Be interested to hear more.

Another friend of mine who you may know, Les Bowler, I believe also did enduros on an XT500 around the same time.

Enough of hijacking Tony's thread.

Comment

Carry on Ian all interesting stuff

Comment

Well here's a nice film of the Welsh in 1973/1974 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXZ...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by ian640 View Post
                              Well here's a nice film of the Welsh in 1973/1974 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXZ...ature=youtu.be
                              Super bit of film Ian, brought back a few memories. I was riding the ex Mick Bowers 125 Saracen both years. Was No 48 in 1973 & gained a silver & No 46 in 74 finished on bronze. Recognised a few faces, the elderly couple with white Alvis (I think) sports car were regular check point marshals. Maybe Brian Catt can recall their name.
                              Shame that the commentary faded out half way through.
                              One of the shots in the film was taken at the check point at the Griffin Inn, Cwm Owen at the 1974 Welsh. The rider is the late Lou Bridgeman who was supporting me that year, he is riding a trials Douglas 350cc (32 AEV) borrowed from Frank Dolman a well known VMCC & Douglas Owners Club member. (photo by B Scholes)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/10/2016, 09:58 AM. Reason: photo added

Comment

Working...
                              X