• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Villiers Charging mods

Iv'e found it but whether you will be able to read it I am not sure. John P
    Attached Files

Comment

Top job JP!

It reads fine John, and you can always enlarge it to make viewing easier using the 'zoom' feature on your computer's toolbar.

I'll add a link to this thread on my recent 'Greeves Articles' list thread.

Thanks for posting it John, really appreciate your contribution.

Brian.

Comment

Yes easy to read, thanks John. Of course the question is who else has done this modification - form an orderly queue, no pushing

Comment

Not another toolbox

Not another toolbox and why not
          I thought about putting it in the same place as the rear one on the Ranger however I need another muffler silencer to go there.
          I can't put it where it is as I want to put a Ranger rack behind the seat so I think it will need to go the other side, the reverse of the Ranger.

If the indicators stuck out further like the Lucas ones it would not be an issue

Comment

Electronic ignition with lighting coils

Now fitted with electronic ignition, starts easily when hot which it never did before.
            I checked the wires from the lighting coils before connecting to the rectifier and
            I was getting a reading of 16 volts without revving the nuts off it. Hopefully the battery
            will get charged and not run flat with the lights on now.

Comment

NJB shocks

I need some new rear shocks for 75% road and 25% lanes, tracks, rough roads. I phoned NJB who recommended going to a 13.4 (original 12 inches) at the rear either his Trial or Ultimate shocks. Any consequences of going a bit longer at the rear? Apart form any height difference.
              Last edited by tony; 27/02/2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

TFS Evolution

Speaking from experience going slightly longer on shocks front and rear should be no problem at all. Off-road will be particularly beneficial. The real secret lies in getting the spring rates close to the rider and machine weight.

A slightly higher seat height might be an issue. The benefits will overcome that.

Norman should be able to assist. Good luck.
                Last edited by Phil Hyde; 27/02/2017, 08:52 PM. Reason: More worms

Comment

I fitted 13.4" NJBs to mine. I can't speak for how it handles 'cos I haven't ridden it yet. They do increase the ground clearance noticeably, but really you need to lengthen the side stand - even on the level if feels as if it could topple over the stand if you see what I mean.

I bought a Rickman seat for a Hawkstone at Telford so I'll be fitting that, but it will entail altering the seat bracket. That will bring the seat a good bit lower.

(Want to change the front shockers on the TR4A first...)
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Shocks

NJB shocks are excellent and Norman is very knowledgable and helpful, plus he's a Greeves owner and rider...John P

Comment

I fitted NJB front and rears to my 1960 Scottish, 20+ years ago.
                      Still going strong. Just added 2 inches to the original stand this week.
                      Fed up looking for a tree or bank to lean it against during sections.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Thanks guys, I will go for the 13.4 NJB's - and lengthen the sidestand

Comment

I'm a bit worried that you are adding length to the back end on a bike that will not see serious section use. The lengthened shocks will quicken the steering, ideal for trials, but may feel wobbly on faster stuff. I have height-adjusted a number of bikes and I would add or subtract at both ends, unless there was a serious reason not to do so. Let's not get into Griffons here!)

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                            Thanks guys, I will go for the 13.4 NJB's - and lengthen the sidestand
                            Too long Tony. I wouldn't do it. NJB makes a 12.5 or there about. Your steering is steep enough.

Kenny

Comment

Mine's come out pretty level; perhaps the Mk II bananas raise the front?
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Its all matter of personal choice in the end, Both Rob and myself use Beta shocks from Villiers Services, it depends on what your intentions are,? the middle of the road price 0f around £140 are excellent for on and off road i find, but as Colin points out the stand height is a bit short , never have troubles about bottoming out either,! steady as a rock if you hit any bumps, or dips in roads as with some socks it can put the bike into a wallowing weave.

Comment

Working...
                                X