Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has tricked the lightness of the clutch.
    I have the extended lever off a Bondcar ???? I think.
    Observing at a trial a few week back, as I snapped a tendon in my left hand.
    Noticed a Triumph Cub rider fettling the clutch with just one finger.
    When I tried it, it was as light as a modern bike, where as my 24TCS needs a few fingers to pull in in.
    Thanks for you ideas.

whitehillbilly

Clutch Lightner/Mods Threads......

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has tricked the lightness of the clutch.
    I have the extended lever off a Bondcar ???? I think.
    Observing at a trial a few week back, as I snapped a tendon in my left hand.
    Noticed a Triumph Cub rider fettling the clutch with just one finger.
    When I tried it, it was as light as a modern bike, where as my 24TCS needs a few fingers to pull in in.
    Thanks for you ideas.

whitehillbilly
    WH....a quick search found these threads, some of which may be of use with your bike, one of which you contributed to yourself;

Topics relating to Greeves designed and manufactured engines and engine parts - use the machine subforums for discussions that relate to bikes as a whole.

Greeves trials models, e.g. Scottish, Scottish Twin, Anglian, Pathfinder, Wessex, Scottish Special, ISDT machines.

Greeves scramblers, e.g. Hawkstone, Hawkstone Twin, MCS, MDS, ME, Challenger, Griffon, QUB Griffon.

Just thinking out loud here, but might this thread be better posted in the 'Non-Greeves Engines' area of the forum? The main board index states this area is for discussions relating to machines as a whole....just to make it easier to search for info, that is.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all....we all get the drift I'm sure....

Hope this helps, and good luck with the mods.

Brian.

Comment

Fibre Plates and Lighter Springs

Whitebilly,

Greetings from New Zealand. On my 24TES I fitted the fibre clutch plates from Villiers Services. These allow the use of the lighter clutch springs they also sell.

The lighter springs are 60% of the original spring strength as the fibre material doesn't need the springs to be as strong. The lighter springs don't work with the original cork plates.

Together these give a lighter clutch and so far no sign of any slip.
      Works so well another person locally has bought and fitted the same parts to his Villiers engined bike.

The other obvious thing to have is a free running cable but I assume you already have this.

Regards,

Peter Barnett

Comment

Thanks Peter.
        Have the Villiers services clutch plates, and got new springs many years ago,
        but think they were as per original.
        Have to see if I can get the lighter ones.
        The cable runs a good line and is oiled often.
        Thanks.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Hi there whb. You might be interested in my clutch setup: I use all original-pattern clutch plates, but with 6 out of 9 springs being the new light type. Every third one is the old, stronger, type. Works well for me; doesn't slip and is one-finger-light. Well, it can be made to slip - either when starting (so I always use the decompressor, like with a four-stroke) or sometimes when giving it the beans in top, between sections perhaps. Worth a try?

Cheers, Andy Briggs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            Ordered some 'new, type springs from Villiers services today.
            6 new and 3 old was suggested, so I will give that a try Andy. Have you tried 9 new. Are you using the old cork type plates on your bike ????
            Also new no 4, brass throttle slide, new 3 1/2 new needle. Felt seal for air cleaner and a gasket set for my S25 carby.
            I enjoy the easy, polite dealings with these guys.

Whitehillbilly
            Last edited by whitehillbillies; 02/08/2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Hi whb,
              Yes, I've tried all 9 springs being of the lighter type: it slipped immediately! And I do use all original-type plates (the same ones that were fitted when I bought the bike). Enjoy!

Comment

Hi Andy,
                Original cork plates ???? Can't believed they have lasted that long.
                Have to look at how I use my clutch.
                My old James trials had a cork plate, in the 6E Villiers motor.
                I use to make the sections of cork from a cork floor tile.
                Allway had a couple of spare sets on hand.

Whitehillbilly

Comment

Yes, I've owned the bike for seven years and have been trialling it ever since then. I almost never touch the clutch lever when I'm in a section and have to force myself to use it when things get a bit tight! S'pose it must help to keep the corks in good condition...

Comment

Working...
                  X