TES Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TES Exhaust

Well today I rode the Greeves after a rebuild started about 11 months and many hours ago.
    Second kick and away it went. While at the moment I can't imagine lifting the front wheel over logs and rocks it is actually seems pretty good.
    I will have to get out on it this weekend as the one after is a holiday weekend and I've entered it in a three day trial.
    Still a few pieces to fit like tank stickers, rear sprocket protector and other bits and pieces. I will post some better photos once everything is complete.
    Great to have a bike running that probably hasn't run for over 30 years and I must thank the GRA, and members of the forum, who have helped with my many questions.

Anyway my question relates to the exhaust - It's fairly loud.
    I have the square front pipe and car style muffler with the separate tail pipe that is squashed to clear the back shock.
    The tip of the back pipe has a hole drilled in it like would fasten an insert?
    As I missing a bit?
    Has anyone made an insert or something to quieten it down a bit?

All suggestions welcome,

regards,

Peter Barnett
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side for web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	63230

Too loud man

Hi Peter

One suggestion/idea.

Try a WES type silencer. They make aftermarket exhausts for modern motorsports. This type can be 're packed with rock wool.

Putting a restrictor up the end of your existing pipe may take the edge of the noise at the cost of performance.

Good luck

Phil

Comment

Another cheaper alternative is to cut the end out of the existing silencer & re pack it with rock wool (loft insulation) & re weld it. You will then also still retain the original look.

Comment

Leave it mate, thats how they were, unless you have a noise pollution neighbor next door, mine are just standard like yours ,but there are a lot of new expansion chamber types on the market ,to improve performance but there are a long list of other mods to do if you go down that route.

Comment

Quiet and works well on my TE
          Attached Files

Comment

Exhaust

Thanks everyone for the replies.
            I made a plug with a 19mm (3/4 inch) hole and tried it in the exhaust today.
            This definitely took the edge off the noise but as Phil suggested also made it harder to lift the front wheel.
            So for now I will leave it noisy. To be fair it is no worse than the Challenger I used to own, it's just that trials is normally a bit quieter than scrambles.
            I am going to a trial tomorrow so will see what it's like on a few sections.

Regards,

Peter.

Comment

Peter,

My TES has an extension into one of these modern, oval cross-section, stinger type exhaust. WIthout that it is very loud!

Comment

Extra muffler.

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Any chance of a photo?
                I assume you had to add a bracket or clamp onto the frame to the second muffler?

regards,

Peter.

Comment

tes exhaust

much cheaper to buy ear plugs!!! a simple fix.

Comment

I have similar concerns over the noise from my TFS. I was looking at one of the silencers from Armours on this page - either the short or the long one, the quietest that will fit. Anyone any experience of using these? Do they silence to a reasonable level?

Thanks.

Comment

If these silencers are anything like Armours roadster 2 stroke silencers they are noisey. A local chap fitted a pair on an Enfield Turbo twin & they sound like expansion chambers, & have very little baffling.
                      The original Greeves TES silencers were ok when new its only because the fibreglass packing has burnt out over the years that they are now very noisey. As I said in a previous post, worth cutting them open & re packing, will cost little if you do the welding up yourself or a few quid for a drink if you get a welder mate to do it. Also you retain the original look for the bike.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/05/2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

tes

noisey tes? i prefer to call it music! made all three of mine re-packable, with an inner flange and seal at the rear of box, easy to do, and effective. the sound of a classic bike, is as classic as the bike itself. just my opinion.

Comment

Thanks.

Cutting and welding is somewhat beyond my level of mechanical ability , but I've an aspiration to preserve the originality of the machine where reasonable.

Not sure if the silencer is original anyway - I've attached a pic.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Original to you. I think the ones on the TFS trail were "peko" silencers, bit shorter than your one. Your one looks like a newer copy - however I sure I will be corrected by those in the know.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

PECO = Performance Exhaust COmpany. Those boxes were quite good at taming the crackle. A modern repackable version should sell well if someone had the kit to build them.

Comment

Working...
                              X