44 tooth cog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 tooth cog

I am having great difficulty getting the cog on the rear hub. I have tried with the new one and an old one. The thread looks fine on the rear hub however I just cannot get it going.
    Any trick I am missing?

Originally posted by tony View Post
    I am having great difficulty getting the cog on the rear hub. I have tried with the new one and an old one. The thread looks fine on the rear hub however I just cannot get it going.
    Any trick I am missing?
    Left hand thread?

Comment

Agreed. It's a very fine thread take care not to cross. Good luck. You might also try a dab of loctite.......

Comment

Dont use loctite as it will make it very difficult to remove in future. The fact that it is LH thread causes it to tighten in use, so it will not work loose.

Comment

I have managed to get it on. I cleaned both threads with a Stanley blade making sure they were really clean. I put on 2 pairs of glasses so I could see the thread clearly. The start was tight then after a few turns loosened then tight, then okay for the last bit. Thankfully it did not cross thread and I expect it was a combination of detritus in the thread and worn damaged thread.
          Hopefully the rest of the hub will go back together without a hitch.

Comment

I still have this pleasure to come. John Fryatt advises me not to use tools on the gear; it is all too easy to damage the teeth.

The threads on my hub don't look too clever - very careful cleaning needed.

Sounds like copper grease might be a good idea?
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

I used copper grease as well Colin each time I tried. I think cleaning the threads and checking the first ones made the difference to getting it started. I gave up on the Anglian Enduro and need to revisit that one when I have another cog.

Comment

Speedo gearbox for 9E/32A etc

This gearbox mounted speedo drive may be of use if the hub thread is damaged so you cant fit a new 44T gear. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Villiers-G...UAAOSwboVXO3Xu

Comment

44t

It took me a long time to fit the one I bought at the AGM it seemed very tight at first and then got easier

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    This gearbox mounted speedo drive may be of use if the hub thread is damaged so you cant fit a new 44T gear. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Villiers-G...UAAOSwboVXO3Xu
                    Do they end up the same drive ratio as the rear wheel drive?

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                      Do they end up the same drive ratio as the rear wheel drive?
                      Depends upon what final drive sprockets are fitted. Obviously the gearbox mounted drive ratio is governed by the final drive ratio.

Comment

Working...
                      X