Ranger rear parking switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger rear parking switch

Kenny has just sent me a photo of the rear parking light switch. It was necessary to conform to Federal law, the bike must be able to have the rear light on for 15 minutes when parking. Obviously the design shows a pragmatic approach rather an aesthetically pleasing one - still should be an easy switch to get hold off - anyone recognise it from other vehicles, probably a car?

Standard car type lever switch available from Vehicle Wiring Products http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...lever-switches and numerous other suppliers or off eBay. But is there any point in fitting it as clearly it has no significance to UK law.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/04/2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Only worth fitting if any one wants to get their Rangers back to their original factory specification. With any restoration where a part is not that useful or relevant, to some it is about achieving that originality.

My Ranger 3 will have Lucas handlebar switches so it is not relevant for this one, however I will do another one up as factory spec and include a rear light switch, useful or not.

Comment

I needed a switch like this for the route book holder for the Land's End trial. I visited our village garage and was confronted by a choice of about 10 different types! This garage is worth it's weight in gold, I even got petrol taps for my 650 Beeza there off the shelf.

We also have Nova Transmissions, the gear people about 400 yards away, a plating shop and until recently, a brilliant alloy welder.

Comment

Getting back to the reason for the switch, I wonder what the logic was behind the US law that required this fitment. Why would the light need to be shown for just 15 mins? What happened after that?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            Getting back to the reason for the switch, I wonder what the logic was behind the US law that required this fitment. Why would the light need to be shown for just 15 mins? What happened after that?
            A postman used mine John for his mail delivery in a rural area of Southern California, so he used it for the many stops along his route.

Kenny

Comment

Thanks Kenny I can see the relevance of having a rear light on when parked on the road but still dont see the relevance of the 15 mins. Did that mean you could only park for that amount of time? Or maybe the battery ran out after that On the UK bikes both the front pilot bulb in headlamp & the rear light came on together, but in reality no one ever used them for parking as being a motorcycle you usually parked it off road & the battery charge would not last for long.
              By putting the parking lights on when riding in daylight it stopped the battery overcharging.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                Thanks Kenny I can see the relevance of having a rear light on when parked on the road but still dont see the relevance of the 15 mins. Did that mean you could only park for that amount of time? Or maybe the battery ran out after that On the UK bikes both the front pilot bulb in headlamp & the rear light came on together, but in reality no one ever used them for parking as being a motorcycle you usually parked it off road & the battery charge would not last for long.
                By putting the parking lights on when riding in daylight it stopped the battery overcharging.
                I've been trying to piece a Ranger parts book together, but did come across this for you.

Kenny Sykes
                USA
                Attached Files

Comment

Quick, but not quick enough

Quick Kenny, but not quick enough - I posted the wiring diagram an hour earlier
                  http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...0018#post30018

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                    Quick Kenny, but not quick enough - I posted the wiring diagram an hour earlier
                    http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...0018#post30018
                    Didn't see it Tony...My copy has seen better days!

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                      I've been trying to piece a Ranger parts book together, but did come across this for you.

Kenny Sykes
                      USA
                      That explains it, the battery must have sufficient charge to keep the light lit 15 mins without charge, not that the law allows it to be turned off after 15 mins.
                      Presumably that would allow, as in the case of the postman, for the bike to be parked with the rear light on sufficient time for brief stops to deliver mail etc. If you needed to park longer that that you would need to get the bike off the highway.

Comment

Working...
                      X