Engine plates - Scottish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine plates - Scottish

Are the Greeves engine plates galvanised, zinc coated or painted. I have refurbished my plates and they are ready to be coated so would like members comments as to what they have used to give the authentic look. In the sixties I rebuilt a Greeves and had the engine plates coated by a company that treated steel with a hot alloy based metal spray as used on the ships. A similar process as the finish on modern car exhaust systems, and I believe the Peco silencer I used on that bike had a similar coating.

Eddie - which model is it?

Engine plates on the early Scottish were painted silver. The TCS used the same plates as the early Scottish, therefore painted silver. On the TDS they were cadmium plated and on the TES (the TFS also used the same cradle) they were galvanised! This also applied to the TGS and THS Anglians. However, the TJS cradle was painted hammer-finish silver (probably to save money!).

So there you are, 4 different finishes. This info was derived from the original factory drawings for each model.

Comment

Engine Plates

Thanks Rob - its a 24TDS so should be cadmium plated, I wondered about Zinc plating as its as near as you can get to the original, don't think cadmium plating is a home DIY job. Anyway its interesting that Greeves used a number of finishes over a relatively short time, I learn something every day and then what restoration is all about - Appreciate your info - Thanks again.

Comment

That's a b#gger, I've had my TE & TES engine cradles powder-coated silver... doh... They will have to stay that way now!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Smith View Post
          Thanks Rob - its a 24TDS so should be cadmium plated, I wondered about Zinc plating as its as near as you can get to the original, don't think cadmium plating is a home DIY job. Anyway its interesting that Greeves used a number of finishes over a relatively short time, I learn something every day and then what restoration is all about - Appreciate your info - Thanks again.
          Cadmium plating is a banned process these days, even commercially, has been replaced by zinc

Comment

Working...
          X