Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20T frame member seat mounting to rear engine plate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20T frame member seat mounting to rear engine plate.

Hi chaps,
    I have a 1957 20T where its vertical seat to rear engine mounting frame member ( the one that the tool box mounts to ) is a double tube rather than a single tube as seen on most models. Any ideas?
    Thanks & regards, Ken.

20T Seat support/twin down-tubes.....

Hi Ken,

That's how they were, although I believe very early bikes didn't have any seat support tubes at all. The factory changed from the double to the single down tube arrangement from the TA onwards.

See this thread, and the first scan of Andrew King's superb article covering the evolution of Scottish Trials models from the TA onward, specifically paragraph 5 which mentions the seat support tubes.....; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4859

You may also find this article I posted ages ago helpful for further reference pics; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...reeves+Article

However, please note that this bike is the earlier type without the support tubes, as mentioned above.

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 01/02/2016, 09:39 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Thanks.

Hi Brian,
      Really appreciate your response and very detailed reply with fantastic links to earlier threads full of excellent information.
      Reading the changes 20T to TA I noted that there was a significant change to the footrest position which I would like to implement to my 20T, are there any relevant drawings or any GRA members who could supply footrests made to order?
      Many thanks and best regards, Ken.

Comment

Not quite right, Brian. The 20T and the 20S acquired twin struts under the seat in 1956. Both had friction-damped forks of course.

The 1957 20T AND 20S were the same, but with hydraulic fork dampers.

The 20TA and 25TA of 1958 had but a single strut, as did the contemporary scramblers.

See chapters 5, 6 & 7 of the book.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Struttering.....

Thanks for the additional info Colin.

Regarding the lack of struts on early bikes, must admit I was going from pics of early 20T's I've seen over the years, the following link here showing a few examples of what I was getting at, particularly the first few pics; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gr...l6XXjFgxx4g%3D

That, together with Andrew King's article covering the later Scottish models and his mention of the change to single strut for the TA was what formed the remainder of my reply to Ken.

Oh well, at least Ken's got something to work with now....

Brian.

Comment

Plenty to work with.

Brian,
            The detail you supplied gives me all I needed and more.
            I was unsure if the struts as I described and as fitted to my 20T were correct I now know they are.
            I did comment on the the repositioned foot rests which I was able to pick out of the great info/links in your response to my initial question so if any one else sees this is it possible to either get drawings of the updated footrest or can anyone supply these?
            Once again many thanks for your invaluble input Brian.
            Regards Ken.

Comment

You're most welcome!

Ken, it's a pleasure. Glad it was of some use to you.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
              X