Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greeves 20T petrol tank paint code

Hi there everyone

Does anyone know the paint code used on a 1957 20T petrol tank? The colour is a light blue/baby blue. Been told its ICI spectrum blue but unable to find the appropriate code for this colour.

Cheers Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Really sorry: a. Can't help with the colour code; 2. Hijacking the thread!

Don't suppose you have a spare tank do you? I have a '58-model 20TA, which came out of the factory in late 1957, and I'm trying to get hold of a standard steel tank for it. Condition unimportant, etc... Can't harm to ask! Thanks.

Comment

There is a steel tank on eBay for £120 http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=5741

Comment

1958 Scottish Tank Paint

I have found a hand written note in my Scottish file which says that on 5th April 2010 Chris Goodfellow put a message on this Forum about the pale blue paint used on early Scottish tanks.
        According to Chris/my note it was called Ice Blue and made by Pinchin and Johnson and is apparently the same colour that was used on Invacars.

Comment

Scottish Tank Colours....

See Post #2 on this thread for Chris's original post, and some further info that may be of help; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...?p=308#post308

It's always worth doing a quick search.....especially in the area of the forum dedicated to paint questions....called 'Paint'.... It's a sub-forum that we specially set-up just after the forum first went live so we can keep all paint related info in one place to make it easier to reference. It can be located just below 'Parts Sourcing' in the 'Engine, Cycle Parts & Spares' area on the main forum page.

Hope it helps.

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 01/02/2016, 09:58 PM. Reason: Link added......

Comment

Reply to John: Thanks for this link; I had checked it out when you originally flagged it up. No go though, because the tap hole is on the left and I need one with the hole on the right! Ho-hum.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Briggs View Post
              Reply to John: Thanks for this link; I had checked it out when you originally flagged it up. No go though, because the tap hole is on the left and I need one with the hole on the right! Ho-hum.
              Could you not braze in a new threaded bush on the opposite side & blank off the other.

Comment

Tank

On my 25dc I had a suitable nut welded onto the right side of the tank and I now have a reasonable sized reserve.
                Who cares about originality if you run out of fuel.
                Mike

Comment

I remember with my 25DB in the early 60s running out of petrol on occasion (as a pennyless apprentice) and running the front wheel up the bank and laying the bike over on the LH side to release the petrol trapped in the RH side of the tank. It would get me a few miles and hopefully to a petrol station. My reserve
                  Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Nicholson View Post
                    I remember with my 25DB in the early 60s running out of petrol on occasion (as a pennyless apprentice) and running the front wheel up the bank and laying the bike over on the LH side to release the petrol trapped in the RH side of the tank. It would get me a few miles and hopefully to a petrol station. My reserve
                    Stan
                    Yep I have done this myself Stan in the wilds of Norfolk when the tank 'apparently' ran dry, just enough left in the other half to get me 3 or 4 miles to the next filling station. Strange that Greeves 'penny pinched' in not fitting a second tap to road bikes, which as you say would have made a useful reserve. Would have cost only a few pence back then.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                      Yep I have done this myself Stan in the wilds of Norfolk when the tank 'apparently' ran dry, just enough left in the other half to get me 3 or 4 miles to the next filling station. Strange that Greeves 'penny pinched' in not fitting a second tap to road bikes, which as you say would have made a useful reserve. Would have cost only a few pence back then.
                      Out of fuel on the side of the road, trying to shake a drop more out of a dry tank & you call greeves penny pinchers...........

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                        Out of fuel on the side of the road, trying to shake a drop more out of a dry tank & you call greeves penny pinchers...........
                        Nothing to do with penny pinching, I knew I had to get some petrol & was aiming for a filling station near Brandon where I would have topped up. but fuel ran out a bit earlier than expected, & there were no other filling stations along that road, the B1112, after leaving Stoke Ferry. So get your facts right before making uninformed statements

Comment

Filling stations are few and far between in rural Norfolk! (and Suffolk).
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                          X