Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pathfinder fork oil, and other info etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
    What's it like to ride, Kenny, does the flywheel weight make it easier to keep going at low revs?

Your Pathfinder is the only one I've ridden to date, and, as I expect you remember, I couldn't get on with having to rev it.
    Hi Colin,

Yes, the heavier flywheel weight has worked out pretty well, along with a smaller transmission sprocket. Much more manageable than before...it still takes a certain style to make it all work. You just can't get lazy with it, things still happen quickly. I'm sure a rider with much better ability than I might like it.

The light weight is very nice I might add!

Regards,
    Kenny

Comment

My Pathfinder also had black spots, i.e. it would not work, I replaced all the gubbins outside the generating coils with the black box unit of a Canam and it works a treat,They are a Bosch product.I tried to explain this before to another member but he kept saying the spare part book calls it a condenser, it lacks something in the translation,I think. Without points what do you want a condenser for? the units are only about£35 new and plenty are available on ebay, I think they were used on all rotax engines for quite some time. I think except for the lack of torque it was the sweetest handling trials bike I have ever had. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by stormer254 View Post
        My Pathfinder also had black spots, i.e. it would not work, I replaced all the gubbins outside the generating coils with the black box unit of a Canam and it works a treat,They are a Bosch product.I tried to explain this before to another member but he kept saying the spare part book calls it a condenser, it lacks something in the translation,I think. Without points what do you want a condenser for? the units are only about£35 new and plenty are available on ebay, I think they were used on all rotax engines for quite some time. I think except for the lack of torque it was the sweetest handling trials bike I have ever had. Good luck with yours.
        Hi Stormer,

Thanks for the good tip. I also have a Pathfinder Enduro which is on the "end of the list" for restoration projects. Rumor has it they make great trail bikes.

I was having a blast on my Pathfinder last month going from section to section...they do handle well even at fairly high speeds.

The Pathfinder is a cool bike in it's own little way.

Kenny

Comment

I did some time trials on mine last winter and you had to get a move on but the sections are fairly easy and she coped well

Comment

I did some time trials on mine last winter and you had to get a move on but the sections are fairly easy and she coped well
            Hi Stormer,

Do you have your footrest in it's stock position? They seem a little too high for my taste.

I also read in Off Road Review that Comerford's lowered the pegs and replaced the expansion chamber with a muffler.

I hope to enter a trial next month up in Washington state. Looking forward to more riding time with it.

Kenny

Comment

Hi mine is absolutely standard, it was a rather rusty and dirty non runner when I got it, all I did was sort out the ignition and fit new tyres and change the shocks and clean her, though my friends might disagree on the cleaning part For my level of riding ability moving bits about doesn't make a lot of difference and (a pet subject of mine) I think bikes should be as they were, fiddle bikes should ride modern events. Modern tyres, fork oil and shocks have already given the bikes a leap forward in performance. I know people have always "tuned" their bikes but then sections get tuned to suit and you lose other classes almost completely,rigid and preunit for example.

Comment

Hi mine is absolutely standard, it was a rather rusty and dirty non runner when I got it, all I did was sort out the ignition and fit new tyres and change the shocks and clean her, though my friends might disagree on the cleaning part For my level of riding ability moving bits about doesn't make a lot of difference and (a pet subject of mine) I think bikes should be as they were, fiddle bikes should ride modern events. Modern tyres, fork oil and shocks have already given the bikes a leap forward in performance. I know people have always "tuned" their bikes but then sections get tuned to suit and you lose other classes almost completely,rigid and preunit for example.
                Stormer,

I agree, other than the MZB for reliability and new tires, mine is stock as well, Bing carb, Girling rear shocks and bars. I'm not into the 14+ inch long shocks with the rear guard hanging way up in the clouds... and not much of a fan of anodized modern day alloy rims either.

Kenny

Comment

I like my rusty steel rims best

Comment

I like my rusty steel rims best
                    If my Dunlops rims are rusty, I powder coat them silver like the spring steel rims.
                    Rust never sleeps

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                    X