Chain oiler set up on a Scottish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain oiler set up on a Scottish

Hi there I'm wanting to get my head around the core t way the chain oiler worked on my 1961 Scottish trials .I assume the swinging arm held the oil and it was fed some how out of a hole at the rear on to the moving chain.but all I have is the swinging arm and no idea if there's some thing missing or not correct.I imagine if I fill the swinging arm up with oil I'll have a real mess with nothing to control the out put from the end of it on to the chain the front end has a flat head screw for the input,I've seen some pics of older machines which had a tube and. As in place but mines just a threaded hole with a screw inserted ,how much oil should it be filled with and what out put should it be ?
    Many thanks
    KL

There should be a metering screw to the rear of s/arm with a spring under the head. Looks like its missing on yours, so just need to find a long enough screw of the correct thread, turn a point on it & fit a spring under the head. The seating should be brazed into the s/arm. The idea is that you fill up the s/arm via tube at front & then adjust the metering screw to drop a small amount of oil onto the chain. Screw it in fully & it shuts off the oil supply. Any engine oil will do.

Comment

Here is what should be there. You are right about making a mess! I remember once at Stafford that some lowlife pinched the screw out of Pete Smith's Scottish whist it was on our stand and needless to say, there was a mess!
      Attached Files

Comment

When I started restoring my TFS last year, I removed the metering screw from the swinging arm for painting. It has since then eloped with lord lucan riding shergar as it has vanished! Will the screw on this drawing also fit my bike?

Comment

Metering screw

Thanks for the diagram certainly not what I imagined but should be able to source something similar thanks

Comment

Originally posted by floydbassman View Post
            When I started restoring my TFS last year, I removed the metering screw from the swinging arm for painting. It has since then eloped with lord lucan riding shergar as it has vanished! Will the screw on this drawing also fit my bike?
            Murphy's men reaching out and whisking crucial parts into a fourth dimension - again..?

The metering screw on the drawing should fit.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
            X