American Spare Import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Spare Import

The other bike that came with the Ranger has scrubbed up quite nicely considering.
    Chrome rims are pitted badly where moisture must have settled on the bottom - but apart from that good condition.
    Speedometer has 8774 miles so not a high mileage,
    and the hubs etc look fairly clean. Unlike the Ranger
    no spark so a bit more work to do.
    I put on some old alloy guards I have, yellow mudguards available to good home

Can anyone tell me what exhaust/silencer this is from -

exhausted

Looks distinctly Japanese in origin. See how it sounds, once you've got it going.

Comment

Dear Drooper.....

Dear Tony,

At first I wondered if it was the race version of the famous 'Talbert' design (see pic 2), but the silencer looks kinda wrong......Sorry I can't offer anything more constructive on this one, but good luck with the bike!

Drooper.
      Attached Files

Comment

Not a Talbert.....sadly....!

Originally posted by Marcelle34A
        Hi Tony,

Good to see that one scrubbing up so well too.

As far as the exhaust goes, my guess would be early 70s yamaha DT or 360 RT GYT or aftermarket Hooker, Bassani, something along those lines.

Not sure the tail pipe is exactly original, waiting for Brian (aka Bingo) to drop by and give you a 'Dear Drooper'......

Cheers,
        Marcelle
        Hi M,

Reckon you nailed it there mate, whatever Drooper says...... Yamaha RT1 looks very similar to me...good spot there!

Tony, check out this link for some pics and more info...; http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/03...a-at-ct-dt-rt/

Brian.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/06/2015, 09:19 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Looks pretty similar to the ones on the link Brian.

Interestingly the Manifold is a larger diameter (35mm) compared to the Ranger
          which is running a 30 mm Mikuni at the moment. Presumably whatever the bike was used
          for it ran a 35mm as there was the top piece of the carb attached to the
          cable.

Comment

Desert Sled?

Hi Tony,

Maybe it was modded for high speed/desert duties back in the day....the front wheel set-up would seem to bear that out.

I agree with Phil....check how the pipe sounds when you get it up and running and go from there. Might be worth having a look at the porting/head too, to see if any tweaks have been done there as well. Either way, might make for an interesting 'Desert Special' if you keep the 'period' mods and see how things pan out with it.

Nice bike.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
            X