Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy Wessex?

Hi all, been too long!

So, around June of this year my 1968 Wessex, American Specification named Grizzy began "acting up". She would start and run magnificently for a few days, then just refuse to fire for a few days. Would adjust the timing daily, carb the S25 Villiers, cleaned and double checked specs etc...she would fire all day, then next day refuse!
    No leaks that I can see, crazy...I'm thinking that my barrel may be off slightly causing intermittent compression loss.

We completely restored this bike and engine approx. 3-4 yrs ago. I guess its time to pull the head and barrel.

Once and if she starts she is dead on with her running, no issues at all, it's just getting the beast started, lol! I might add that coils checked and fine and I did add a HTC also, output all checks out. So much for my easier starting, ie that's why I added the HTC

I can tell compression down and removed the compression release just in case.

I was literally pulling side cover and retarding and advancing the timing several times a day...I know that's not correct!

I got her on a bigger main and that was the trick as far as power loss, one of the days she started she ran great I had a fabulous 2 hr ride on her and it was phenomenal, like a different bike...so I know its not a carb issue!

Sooo, fortunately I have a mechanic I completely trust, so taking barrel off and piston etc to him to make sure my honing job was sufficient and see if the barrel needs rebored or what.

Wondering about a seal, but don't think so as not a cold or hot issue as I have had with the other Wessex...ie would start and run great cold, but the minute the fluids warmed up lost compression, it was a very faint seal leak.

Any other suggestions or ideas??

Thanks
    Tammy
Working...
X