Anglian Gearbox and Primary Chaincase Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglian Gearbox and Primary Chaincase Oils

Hi can I check the best gearbox and primary chaincase oils and amounts for my Anglian THS.

I was going to put SAE 30 about 3/4 pint in the gearbox up to the level plug (it also has a dipstick attached to the filler plug).

What about the primary chaincase though. I thought SAE 10 about 1/4 pint. The Villiers workshop manual I've got covers the 34A through to 37A and says there is a drain plug and level plug at the bottom front of the chaincase. I have had a good look and couldnt see one. I have coincidentally had an eye test this morning which was fine and went and had another look and still cant see one. To change the oil do you have to just take the chaincase cover off to drain it !

Many thanks

Keith
    Dr Keith Beach

There is normally a level plug and a drain plug on the lower surface of the inner chaincase. See attached picture of the 34A in my Hawkstone.

TQF is quite popular for primary chaincase lubrication
    Attached Files
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Transmission fluids

Automatic transmission fluid is more than suitable for both gearbox and primary transmission. You do however, have to be careful with all joint faces and seals.

Equally, stick with the original spec.

Good luck

Comment

Thank you Colin and for the helpful photo. I have had a third look and where the plugs are on your Hawkstone inner chaincase I just have flat areas of casing and no plugs ! I dont know how unusual that is and why?

Thank you Phil too.

Can additives in automatic transmission fluid mean you have to ensure a really good seal then ?

many thanks

Keith
        Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Hi Keith,
          I have been running ATF in my 32A 60 Scottish Primary case, for many years. I also ran It in A 6E engine James Trials, before that. Both bike being registered for road use.
          I always ran SAE30 in the gearbox, of both bikes.
          I have 2 inner primary cases for my 32A, one has the plug, which is on the bike. The other had just as you mentioned, the flat areas, no plugs.

whitehillbillies

Comment

A previous thread on oils http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hlight=Gearbox

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Beach View Post
              Thank you Colin and for the helpful photo. I have had a third look and where the plugs are on your Hawkstone inner chaincase I just have flat areas of casing and no plugs ! I dont know how unusual that is and why?

Thank you Phil too.

Can additives in automatic transmission fluid mean you have to ensure a really good seal then ?

many thanks

Keith
              Hi Keith,

No ATF is pretty thin stuff. I've found that using a silicon gasket type sealing solution works better than using just a gasket with ATF. If you have any imperfections on the mating faces it fills them.

You can of course use silicon and a gasket if you are the belt and braces type!

Regards,
              David.

Comment

I just use clear roof and gutter silicon, neutral cure ( non acidic ) no gasket.
                not had leaks for years. works great on exhaust manifold.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Oils

Thanks guys for all those helpful answers.

I think I may stick with SAE30 in the gearbox and try TQF in the primary chaincase. I think I am a belts and braces man David. Certainly to date Ive used a gasket and a sealant together on the chaincase - even then it still leaks though looking back at the previous thread John refers to I like greeves246's idea that leaks are just a way of a bike marking its territory!.

Keith
                  Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Working...
                  X