Chain tensioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain tensioners

Chain tensioners do not seem to have been part of the originall spec on my 1962 T.E.S. or a lot of other Greeves machines. A lot of owners seem to have fitted them. It seems that I need to have the chain quite slack so that it doesn't go to tight as the suspension travels. It would be nice to know the opinion of other owners (No slimming advice please) befor I decide what to do about the manky looking thing I have just removed.

There were a few practical suggestions for primary chain tensioners for Villiers engines in Leading Link last year (or so).

General opinion seems to be that they are a good thing, if only because they save faffing about with extra gaskets between the engine and the gearbox.

Plus (if you're brave) you can get a bit more mileage out of the chain...
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

He is refering to the REAR chain Colin not primary. Sammy Miller Equipment make these for Bultacos etc they should be able to be adapted to fit a Greeves. Personally I would not have thought them to be necessary on Greeves as they were developed for bikes with long suspension travel

Comment

Hi,
        If you have extra movement on rear suspension like longer shockers the chain tensioner is a good idea a fiddle to fit but need to fit it to the cradle the Sammy Miller ones fit
        Kelvin

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          He is refering to the REAR chain Colin not primary.
          Oh yes..

I always used a rear chain tensioner when I was trialling my Scottish. I did have over-length rear shocks.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen my shocks are about 1/2 an inch longer than standerd and a bit soft. I did not think about that Der. The pad type from A.J.S. looks like it had a hard life before it failed. A roller type looks a better bet to me. The S.Miller one is quite expensive so I have gone for one from trials bits U.K. Will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Chain Tensioner

Hi John, I fitted one to my Anglian many years ago and it has worked well. Unfortunately it's hard to find a bracket to mount the tensioner, so while the bike was stripped for restoration I welded a bracket on. I positioned the bracket on the inner side of the box section ensuring that it did not foul the tyre tread. It was a bit of a fiddle getting the pad in the correct position with appropriate spring pressure whilst ensuring the arm was not fouled by the chain. I've used the slipper pad type as it is quiet (the roller type can be noisy) and it has good wear qualities. It allows me to run a slightly loose chain and prevents the chain becoming too tight during suspension travel. It also keeps the chain out of the way and prevents it being rolled off the rear spocketby an errant rock - something which has happened to me in the past. I adjust my chain so that I can get my thumb between the top of the slipper pad and the bottom of the swinging arm, when the gap reduces below that, I adjust the chain to restore the gap. Hope this helps.

Comment

Rear Chain Tensioners

John

I have a tensioner fitted to my Triumph engined TFS. It serves 2 purposes. The bottom run of chain is kept taut and guided onto the bottom of the rear sprocket regardless of suspension position. Secondly it helps to keep the chain clean on muddy events. I bought mine from Norman Blakemore at a show. He also sells the guide shoe seperately.

Hope this helps

Phil

Comment

Working...
                X