Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member seeking information on scottish

Hello to all
    I aquired a 1960 scottish 20TC ,that has had some previous work carried out on it. While fitting new tyres ,front and rear, I noticed that the pressed steel cups that surround the felt bearing seal had been fitted on the outside of the brake plates. On strip down I find a mish / mash of washers and spacers has been used.
    Could anyone point me in the right direction to get information on build up of spacers and correct lengths, plus widths for locknuts. I Also need the correct length for spindles ( the location shoulder on the rear brake side has been removed with a hand grinder) I can not understand why any one would need to do this,as without it the locknuts can not be torqued up to locate the unit.
    Thanks in anticipation. Frame no 60/1144
    Kevin mcnulty

Kevin, to start with I've upgraded your forum membership to 'GRA Member'!

I have some information that will be useful but because the file sizes are quite large, I will mail them to you directly.

Comment

Wheel spindle and spacers

Hi Rob
      Thanks for the upgrade
      I look forward to receiving the files. Many thanks
      Kevin

Comment

I would like to thank Rob for some very relavant information sent to me by Email.
        Sent very Swiftly! Thanks

Comment

A pleasure, that is the whole purpose of the GRA and the forum, to help people derive maximum enjoyment from their Greeves (and hopefully, less hassle!)!

Are there still any dimensions / info you are missing?

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Outstanding dimension I could do with at the moment is overall length for the rear wheel spindle fitted to this machine originally.
            Would this have been a bought in item for greeves, perhaps supplied by British hub co.

I wonder if my Scottish is known to any GRA members.
            Reg no RFO 695 frame no 60/1144. Engine no. 076D 4553 (9E). Is fitted and I also have. Engine no. 367A75 ZZZ. This is the engine the bike was registered with in 1996, Was this the engine it left the factory with?

This motorcyle has had lots of work done already, and is running
            All information gratefully received!

Kevin
            Last edited by fioand; 01/04/2014, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Length of spindle is 9 1/8". See drawing below. As there is a drawing, there is a good chance Greeves might have made it or alternatively, they may have just modified some aspect or another.

Can't say I recognise those Villiers engine numbers but someone else might.

The TC had engines with 625B and 723 B prefixes, the TCS had prefix 863B.

Hope this helps!
              Attached Files

Comment

Rob
                Thanks for the drawing
                This answers one question and leaves me with another mystery!
                I now understand why my rear spindle had been ground back at the bearing shoulder.
                The drawing shows the distance across the bearing shoulders as 3 7/8".
                My hub measures 3 5/8" ( just stripped it and checked again)
                Overall length confirms as 9 1/16

I am still left with the condition that two full nuts + two wheel adjuster washers on this spindle, the swing arm is pulled in under tension by 3/8"
                This seems excessive

Regards. Kevin

Comment

Hello all
                  My spindle lenth problem is corrected
                  After measuring several swing arm units at villiers services,I realised the distance between the spindle carrier on mine was incorrect.
                  This has now been corrected.

I am still interested to hear if anyone has any History on. RFO 695

Frame no. 60/1144. What engine unit did this leave the factory with?

Kevin

Comment

The 20TC had a 197cc Villiers 9E unit.

Incidentally, that is a very late frame number - might even have been the last 20TC out of the factory.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for that Colin
                      Frame no is definately 60/114.
                      No one seems to recognise the engine no,s

The engine fitted could be 0761 4553 or 076D 4553. There is a deep battle scar on the identification plate in the area of the fourth digit

I have not yet worked out how to add photos to thread

Comment

Hi, the first thing to realise is that the allowance for pics is a bit small, so you either have to post via a 3rd party storage site, or reduce the pics to a smaller size on your own programme.
                        Next scroll down to the middle of the 3 boxes under the message box when writing a thread. Click on "Manage attachments". This opens up a second box where you choose the pic from your files. When this is chosen, the title will appear. You the click the upload button and after a short delay, this pic will be accepted and your first pic title will disappear from the "choose" line. You can then add a second etc.
                        When you have uploaded to the holding memory, you click on the "close this box" button then post the whole message and pics in one hit by "Submit Reply".
                        If you still have problems re-sizing, let me know and I'll do it for you. Then either I can send straight back or post for you.

Comment

Originally posted by fioand View Post
                          Thanks for that Colin
                          Frame no is definately 60/114.
                          No one seems to recognise the engine no,s

The engine fitted could be 0761 4553 or 076D 4553. There is a deep battle scar on the identification plate in the area of the fourth digit
                          It's not the original engine, then. The number would have been 723B ****.
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

1960 Scottish

Hello again
                            Could anyone out there tell me the correct colour for the lettering on a 1960 Scottish tank badge.
                            Mine are finished in red, but I feel sure I have seen some finished in blue
                            Many thanks
                            Kevin
                            Last edited by fioand; 25/07/2014, 12:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The lettering should be dark blue.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X