No announcement yet.

Amal Concentric Mk 1 Jet Holder New vs Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the comments and advice. The engine has had a recent complete rebuild with new big end, rebore and new piston etc its pretty coke free, but the noise remains at steady speed around 20 mph plus. I agree that lowering the compression a bit might resolve it. Good thinking to try "better" petrol. I have always run ethanol free on the Anglian since getting it. I will try other petrol. Interestingly my long dead brother introduced me to Anglian's when he bought a new one from Comerfords. That had rubber bungs fitted on the fins. I'll gave to try to try that.

Cheers
    Keith
    Last edited by Keith Beach; 02/03/2014, 09:32 PM. Reason: Correct spelling.
    Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Used squash balls can be used to be jammed in between fins to see if that is the problem. I'll venture to the Can-Am store to see what size they are.

Comment

thanks Brian
        Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
          Hi Keith,
          You will have to live with it i am afraid, if as others say low trials gearing on the roads dont mix even across open fields and lanes between sections you will get it! as stated once load is put on it uphill etc it goes off.

As Rob said gear up on rear sprocket or change front will help for road use, but at the end of the day it is an off road Bike
          I agree Dick, but any Greeves manufactured in that era had to make the long journey by road from Gorgi Market in Edinburgh to the Highlands for the SSDT - Each machine had to be mechanically sound once it got there to take on the sections.

David.

Comment

Keith, the Can-Am's fins are approx 10mm pitch, and I'm guessing the Anglian is bigger in that respect. The anti-resonance rubbers appear to be made of a thick-wall tubing, rather than a solid molding. Have you any old car heater hoses laying about?????

Comment

Thanks Brian. Yes I measured them yesterday. 14mm is what I made it. No car heater hoses about but I am on the hunt for something suitable.

Keith
              Dr Keith Beach

Comment

I found that Yamaha part no 583-11127-00 "Rubber Engine Cylinder Damper" for their 1978-83 SR500 fits between the fins nicely when turned on their side.

Keith
                Dr Keith Beach

Comment

As long as they are a good push fit, they should be OK. Hope they help with the extraneous noises!

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice given by one and all. Ive now been running the Anglian for a while with some rubber bungs between the fins (ones for a Yamaha XT or SR500 1978-83 and mildly modified) and it has significantly cut down on noise.

Many thanks

Keith
                    Attached Files
                    Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Working...
                    X