Anglian Grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglian Grey

Hi, can anyone give me an idea as to the nearest colour grey that was used on the anglians.?

I have a paint dealer near that will make it up in aerosol cans, and have used these in the past for moorland blue, but have nothing to try to a match with.

Would appreciate any information on this thanks

Anglian Grey

Hi Dick ,
    I have a THS in Grey, it was this colour when I purchased it some 3/4 years ago , the chap I got it from owned it around ten years and insisted it was Grey when he got it,he believed it to be a good colour match to original .
    If it opens ok there is a photo of it in my album, don't know how to get a match for it but there must be a way . To be honest I would rather have silver, but that's the way it was ,as they say, ! !
    Regards Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
      Hi, can anyone give me an idea as to the nearest colour grey that was used on the anglians.?

I have a paint dealer near that will make it up in aerosol cans, and have used these in the past for moorland blue, but have nothing to try to a match with.

Would appreciate any information on this thanks
      Have you looked in Halfords or one or the other motorist stores you may be able to get a near match spray can from a car colour which would be cheaper than having it specially mixed, also you would be able to get further supplies easily.

Comment

Sprocket's Anglian.

Originally posted by Sprocket View Post
        Hi Dick ,
        I have a THS in Grey, it was this colour when I purchased it some 3/4 years ago , the chap I got it from owned it around ten years and insisted it was Grey when he got it,he believed it to be a good colour match to original .
        If it opens ok there is a photo of it in my album, don't know how to get a match for it but there must be a way . To be honest I would rather have silver, but that's the way it was ,as they say, ! !
        Regards Rob.
        Hi Rob, Dicky,

I thought I'd take the liberty of attaching pics from your album here Rob, for ease of reference, along with a direct link to your album to see the pics full size. Hope that's ok mate. ; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...php?albumid=64

Hope this helps Dicky (and shouldn't this thread be moved to the 'Paint' section?!)

There's a bit more here as well; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=3217

Brian T.
        Attached Files

Comment

Anglian grey!

Thanks Rob, John, and Brian,

Yep I like the silver I have at present , but thought I would try and put it back to something like the original , will have a look at Halfords but I know John that old primer dark grey does look a bit drab.

Twanger, you know how I am with these dam computers , getting anything on the web is a bonus let alone getting in the right section!! anyway where are all the other 600 members? it seems as though some are worse than me Ha Ha

Comment

Throwing a wild guess here, but that colour looks like an old Ford colour, but I can't put a name to it.

Comment

Anglian Grey

Looks like battleship Grey to me. I'm not a lover of it , this is when you get into do I put it back to original, or paint it a colour I like. If I ever strip it down again think I will apply the b------s theory and paint it silver.

Yep think you are right, looks like a 54 Ford Prefect (sit-up and beg) thee speed box. Used to cruise the streets of Streatham in one, only it was Black .

Rob.
              Last edited by Sprocket; 06/01/2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Ah, silly me! Here I am telling DD I don't know what the colour is when I remembered I have a new-old-stock TGS front brake torque arm in the original grey (or as the GPO called it, slate) to use as a colour-match!

However, I think his frame should be fluorescent red and the rest of it fluorescent yellow to give people early warning of his approach and a chance to run for cover when he approaches! 5 miles should be near enough!

Comment

Mmmmmm......Humbrol!

Ha ha!! Nice one Rob! Add a few splashes of Peacock Blue (or whatever it is!) and it'd almost be a 'modern' take on the DCX scheme.....!

And Dicky, you do just fine mate!! At least you managed to post it on the right forum....!!

Twanger.

Comment

Don't forget, it was only the TGS which was grey. THS, TJS (and TJ) had silver frames.

(If originality matters, of course...)
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

anglian grey

Thanks Gents,
                      A lot of info there to decide upon, thanks Colin i did not know that the later models were done in silver, nice for the Ashurst curator to find yet another bit of history in the Museum.

Have you got the tropical kit sorted Mainwaring! we expect to see on your return from the Jungle an up to date report on The Adventures of Burma and beyond on a Greeves

Comment

Important point - if you are keen on the 'real thing' in terms of silver (ala moorland blue), don't forget Greeves used stoving enamel and not air-drying silver! I know because I bought a tin of it from Beamish Motors and painted my Scottish (9584 BP) with it so that I could pretend it was an Anglian. The damn stuff didn't dry and just picked up all the dust!

I then did something more sensible and bought a tin of green Valspar and pretended it was a Challenger! Then I sold it and bought a .........Bultaco but only because a deal on an Anglian fell through! I had to wait 41 years for a ride on my own Anglian even though I had owned the bits it was eventually built from for about 25 of those!

Postscript - I met the chap that had the Anglian I missed at a REOC meeting! He still has it!

When I was last out East, I did find a book on British bikes containing a section on Greeves in a street market. I left it there as educational material for the natives!

Comment

Out East.....Felixstowe? Ipswich???

Comment

Hi All,
                            Not a easy one this. It is basically 'A' battleship Grey of which there are of course lots of different variety's and though I have tried many times I have never ever managed to find any car colour very much like it, including the Ford grey and Fordson tractor greys which are much too light.

This is very probably because the Greeves Grey (Which has a hint of blue in it) would not look very nice if seen in great volume. I.E. Over such as a entire cars surface. But in my view at least it did and does look rather nice in my view on a TGS Anglian.

For that reason I have kept just the Speedometer housing on my silver painted Anglian in its original Greeves Grey colour so I could get a match from it if I ever decide to redo the entire bike, and you are more than welcome to come and have a look at it anytime you wish Dick if it helps.

Regards to all, Don Morley

Comment

Anglian grey

Thanks Don,
                              Point taken on this grey, I will carry on with the silver theme, this as you say makes the bike look a complete machine , and not as though they were left in primer:

Comment

Working...
                              X