Nothing to do with Ebay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing to do with Ebay...

.. but does any member know if the old tradition of mounting the speedometer at the top of the fork slider on a trials bike is currently legal and an MOT pass?

I've got to the stage of my Pathfinder restoration of fitting the speedo to the bike and it just occurred to me, that not having had to MOT a trials bike for many years - that this position may no longer be legal. I have the option of mounting it on the bars, but would prefer to keep it in its original position.

What's the verdict?

David.

speedo

David

You have restored your bike back to factory spec. Take an original picture with you when you get the bike tested should the subject arise. Good luck.

Comment

Nothing to do with eBay

David - I think I'm right in saying that the speedo is not part of the MOT test so I don't think you've anything to worry about. A working speedo is, of course, a legal requirement so it would be up to the boys in blue to consider if your originally placed speedo is illegal in any way. The MOT tester shouldn't be concerned. Good luck - Dick.

Comment

I remember when I got my Greeves 24TCS Registered here in Australia.
        First, Pink Slip ( MOT ) Bulb horn off a pushbike. Lights running off a 7.2V Makita hidden in the tool box. Speedo between the Bars.
        Bloke was more interested in the bike than its condition. " Does everything work " I flicked the lights on and off, then stood on the brake. He honked the horn. "All good " come in and I'll get the details off my computer.
        15 mins later of looking, and still no details came up. " better give them to me to add to the computer.
        Next MRMA for insurance. " bike make and model please " 1960 Greeves 24TCS. TAP,TAP,TAP,TAP.
        Bike doesn't exist. Well look through the window out there on the pavement.
        Have to ring Sydney, Head Office.
        On the phone, I heard her say 'well I'm looking at the bike outside, so it does exist " !!!
        Sydney said to give me all the bike details to add to the computer.
        1 Hr later all done.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
          I remember when I got my Greeves 24TCS Registered here in Australia.
          First, Pink Slip ( MOT ) Bulb horn off a pushbike. Lights running off a 7.2V Makita hidden in the tool box. Speedo between the Bars.
          Bloke was more interested in the bike than its condition. " Does everything work " I flicked the lights on and off, then stood on the brake. He honked the horn. "All good " come in and I'll get the details off my computer.
          15 mins later of looking, and still no details came up. " better give them to me to add to the computer.
          Next MRMA for insurance. " bike make and model please " 1960 Greeves 24TCS. TAP,TAP,TAP,TAP.
          Bike doesn't exist. Well look through the window out there on the pavement.
          Have to ring Sydney, Head Office.
          On the phone, I heard her say 'well I'm looking at the bike outside, so it does exist " !!!
          Sydney said to give me all the bike details to add to the computer.
          1 Hr later all done.

whitehillbillies
          Sounds like the same here in UK with the DVLA, load of numpties.

Comment

Okay chaps thanks for the replies. It's true - but surprising, that a speedometer is not tested in the U.K. MOT.

Here is another poser for you. For the MOT the chain is supposed to have a guard. Okay so far for part of the way on the Pathfinder - but very close to your left foot on the Pathfinder is the exposed drive sprocket and chain. Not an issue in use in any way but for the MOT?

David.

Last edited by 46T Sprocket; 22/11/2013, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I don't see this as a problem. Most over-the-counter enduro bikes have less guard than that from new.

Comment

pathfinder

i have a new gear lever for my pathfinder from steve gollins its made buy MCE exactly like the griffon /cub/c15 one but bigger spline for pathfinder sprayed silver

if your worried about speedo on the fork leg use a digital pushbike one ? on the bars lie most trials boy do ? (just sugestion)

Comment

Ossa gearchange pedal fits

Comment

Originally posted by greeves246 View Post
                    i have a new gear lever for my pathfinder from steve gollins its made buy MCE exactly like the griffon /cub/c15 one but bigger spline for pathfinder sprayed silver

if your worried about speedo on the fork leg use a digital pushbike one ? on the bars lie most trials boy do ? (just sugestion)
                    I thought about the bicycle computer. I have a couple - but I wanted to keep it in reasonably original trim.

How much was the Pathfinder lever? I was gobsmacked at the price being asked for a simple lever by some dealers.

David.

Comment

lever

Hi dave the lever i have is for my bike but i can take a photo of it, steve gollins has the long ally levers but there not right for pathfinder the right one is made buy MCE perhaps they still have a stock of them its painted silver

and has a lager spline than the griffon gave it away to me

gary
                      Originally posted by 46T Sprocket View Post
                      I thought about the bicycle computer. I have a couple - but I wanted to keep it in reasonably original trim.

How much was the Pathfinder lever? I was gobsmacked at the price being asked for a simple lever by some dealers.

David.

Comment

Hi Gary,

The gear lever is the last thing I'm stuck for to get the Pathfinder ready. I've made up one myself that works well enough (pictured above) but would prefer to find the a lever with the correct size spline. I've tried searching for an Ossa lever as Stormer254 suggested but they seem to be as rare as Pathfinder ones. The only ones I see are on Ebay U.S.A. or Spain, at a silly price and an even sillier price for post!

I'm not familiar with MCE? I googled it but came up with nothing.

Regards,
                        David.

P.S. Had my road bike stolen two nights ago. They cut the chain & hot wired it. The police found it last night in a field 30 miles away wrecked. I hope the thief hurt himself in the crash!

Comment

MCE/Wassell

MCE is a brand name owned by Wassell http://www.totalbikebits.com/
                          They do not deal with the general public so orders have to go through one of their agents. Unfortunatly you cant access the parts on their web site.

Comment

Somewhat old-fashioned company by the look of the website. How do you know what they sell if they have no catalogue or web display? It's about time they came up-to-date and allowed the public into their secret world!

Comment

Mce

Yes i think they would sell a lot more stuff on there if you could see the produce

some photos of the gear lever it has a larger spline than a griffon before some one chips in

Comment

Working...
                              X