Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Seen At The Scottish' - Motorcycle Mechanics, 1/7/61.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Seen At The Scottish' - Motorcycle Mechanics, 1/7/61.

Here's an interesting article from my files showing some of the mods made to bikes competing in that years Scottish Six Days Trial.

Some good Greeves items included here, and check out that fork mod so the front end dives under braking like a more conventional set-up....something that was more common back in the day than you'd think.

Have a look at contemporary pics of works ISDT Greeves when being put through the extremes of the 'braking test' and the forks can often be seen going the 'wrong' way (for a Greeves that is....! )

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 29/10/2013, 12:07 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Out of print Greeves related articles etc.

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is any interest in me scanning any more stuff like this and posting it on the forum?

Brian.

Comment

More of the same.

I think so brian, although probably not appreciated by all, but certainly by the majority, i think well illustrated posts like your example, is how newer members can get a good feel, for how the greeves were made & the 60`s engineering involved.
      Certainly more interesting & usefull, than just creating a thread with links to other website material, auction sites etc. but only my opinion...

Comment

What he said...

Thanks for the input Dave, much appreciated mate as always.

You summed up why I do it as well.

I note that this thread had 70+ 'views' prior to our two posts today, and it's difficult to gauge if it's worth spending the time and effort it takes digging this stuff out and scanning it if there is no response.

As you know, it's not about getting a 'pat on the back' in any way, just trying to see if it's actually worth doing....

Brian.

Comment

Going back to the theme of the thread though, i did convert my little greeves thumper over to the floating front backplate, ( thumper project ), it works superb, but you do need to machine & weld a good anchoring lug into the back plate.
          Going into a rough fast corner, with the front brake on hard, really pushes the limit on how much a tin back plate can take.

Comment

Sharing.

As your post demonstrates Dave, that is exactly the kind of interesting information, viewpoints, insights and discussion that I always hope this kind of material may generate.

There has to be more to all this than just 'what's it worth' stuff etc....surely?

Just my opinion...
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/12/2013, 08:43 PM. Reason: nuther word needed.

Comment

Welcome back!

Hi M34A,

May I say it's great to see you posting again, and what an interesting post it is! I for one have really missed your input on here.

Must say, I had completely not spotted that in the original pic (!), and many thanks for the additional images. That is a far better place to mount the condenser on a comp bike than it's 'original' position on a Villiers single of that type, and as the caption implies, would make access/replacement far easier.

Many members on here would probably know all about that particular 'mod' from back in the day, but I certainly didn't! Thanks for the lesson, it's great to learn something new.

Brian.
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/12/2013, 09:56 PM. Reason: Additional words.

Comment

Working...
              X