Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tfs

Hi All,

I have been offered locally a Dec 64 TFS, Its seems a nice genuine bike,the current owner brought the bike in april 79. The frame is painted black but you can see that it is blue in places under chipped parts etc. It is registered on a b reg, has a red v5 doc, old log book, originally registered to comerfords.

It has a couple of things that puzzle me,

1, the exhaust is more like a TES exhaust fitted to Don Smiths works bike (All on the N/S of the bike) Should it not have an expansion chamber on the right.

2, The speedo is under the tank on the o/s off the bike, i thought it should be on an alloy bracket on the handlebar clamps?

The bike has its original dunlop rims which are in reasonable condition, the tank is reasonable with a few dents, has the original seat etc

The engine turns over fine and has compression and spark but has not run since 79, the gearbox only seems to have 2 selectable gears?

What I need help with is a value on this machine, what do the members think would a reasonable offer for this bike?

Also could the exhaust and speedo be right as it is an early TFS??

Regards

Scott Chappell 151

TFS at what price?

Scott I think the thing to realise with trials bikes is that they were often modified from standard particularly with regards to exhausts & speedo mountings. In Greeves (page 61) it states Many TFS models were fitted with alternative silencers some utilizing a Palmer design which was fitted in a similar position to that on the TE series & featured a barrel-type silencer
    So that would maybe explain the one fitted to the bike in question. Likewise the speedo (although not mentioned in the book) could have been moved to the the lower position to do away with a long cable going up to handle bars. Speedos always took a bashing in trials but had to be fitted as a legal requirement, if they could be tucked in all be it out of sight of the rider all so good.
    As for price thats a contentious subject, obviously you dont want to offend the seller with a low offer or at the other end of the scale pay more than the bike is worth. Has he a price in mind? A look at passed sales of similar bikes on eBay should be able to give you a good idea. Obviously condition is a ruling factor, but without a pic of the bike judgement is impossible on here.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/09/2013, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I think the TFS model had a handlebar mounting for the speedo that was only used for that model and on the Ranger for the USA market.
      Colin

Comment

Thanks John and Colin.

The owner has been told its worth £2000?

A tad optimistic in my opinion, it's not an old heap by any means but it still needs a lot off work all the same, it's an interesting back nether the less though, considering a mint tfs made £3300 recently I was thinking nearer £1300 would be fair?

It seems that highly priced bikes seem to struggle to sell lately but lumps of old rubbish make strong money?

Regards

Scott

Comment

Scott. You would not be robbed at £1300 if the bike is as you say, I would put that to the owner & see his reaction, you can always go up a bit. If he sees you as a genuine club member, & you are going to use it yourself rather than someone who is than going to tart it up & flog it on eBay. I sure you can do a deal.

Comment

I bought a 24TFS of similar description to that one earlier this year. A private sale from a known and trusted seller. A good runner but not road registered. It too has a Don Smith-style exhaust on the left. The wheels are original but the chrome's a bit knackered. A running shed-find to be truthful.

The standard exhaust on a TFS is a chromed pipe which loops down in front of the beam and up to a high level silencer on the right. Rather too vulnerable in my view. The round speedo was housed in a cast alloy binnacle on top of the forks.

It needed a good sorting out, so I'm building it up with everything that needs fixing fixed, then I'll strip it down again, get the frame powder coated, and build it up again spot on. I'm also fitting bananas. If it's any guide I paid £1700 for it - top dollar I guess, but I wanted one...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks again John and Colin for your input.

I think I will need to pay nearer what you paid for yours Colin, Having said that it is registered on its original number and has the old green log book aswell.

Maybe I should stop being so mean, original bikes are getting harder to find these days, I was hoping to get it up and running and useable for around £2000.

Interestingly the exhaust is chromed on this bike, as is the footrests, and the brake arms etc have been drilled for lightness aswell, at the end of the day the bike will be used as intended anyway, so if its not 100% correct im not to fussed

Regards

Scott

Comment

Tfs

Hi Scott. Don Smiths TFS or TES was Black and was nicknamed "Black Bess". Maybe its worth getting the frame number checked out it could be ex works...John P.

Comment

Hi John,

Looking at the green log book, the original owner was comerfords, then 7 other owners non of which were names Id heard of? The current owner got the bike apr 79, also the bike has dunlop chrome rims not alloy like Dons.

I was hoping it could have been something special when was told about it, but its just an early production bike I think.

Does anybody remember FPD 619B??? Its second owner was in kent i think.

Frame number 24TFS154

Scott
                  Last edited by scott151; 03/09/2013, 10:56 AM. Reason: added frame number

Comment

Hi Scott,
                    If it makes you feel any better I started building a TFS from parts approx 3 years ago or so now (still not finished, MX4's keep getting in the way) and I'm in for over £1,800 already I reckon and it still needs wheels building, tyres, tubes, handlebars and controls etc, frame painting and shocks for the rear and for the bananas, plus no-doubt all those little extras I've forgotten about. If you're intention is not to look for a quick-buck re-sale suggest the kind of money Colin paid is about right.... It has got a current V5C too on its original number after all.
                    When it comes to buying old bikes prices can be hard to determine and usually comes down to how desperate the seller is for the cash and how badly you want it.
                    When I get chance I'll photograph where I'm up to on the build and pm you the shots.
                    Best wishes......

Comment

Scott ,

If you like it , buy it , not many come up cheap . dither for too long & it will be gone .

Gr11mpy , you mention dampers for banana forks , the TFS didn't have bananas just the rubber suspension .

Chris

Comment

Hi All,

I have done a deal with the seller we settled on £1550 in the end.

ill post some pics when I pick it up, its more than I wanted to pay, but arnt they always

Thanks to everyone for the input on the bike.

Regards

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,
                          I'm sure you won't regret it. Sounds like a very good price.

Hi Chris,
                          Sorry, you're absolutely right. I had the NOS trials bananas to hand, didnt have a set of original type forks so thought I would fit what I had available.

Best wishes to you both..........

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
                            Scott ,

If you like it , buy it , not many come up cheap . dither for too long & it will be gone .

Gr11mpy , you mention dampers for banana forks , the TFS didn't have bananas just the rubber suspension .

Chris
                            As you make have observed, I'm putting bananas on mine. My excuse is that the factory riders, Don Smith, Malcolm Davis and Tony Davis, gave the new forks their trials debut in the 1965 Scottish Six Days Trial - fitted to their works 24TFS bikes.

Bill Wilkinson stuck with rubber forks because he hadn't practiced with bananas. Malcolm Davis came fourth overall.

Anyway, I like bananas!
                            Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/09/2013, 07:17 AM.
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Tfs

I have Bananas on mine
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X