Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglian

Hi all.
    I have just bought an Anglian but it does not have a speedo. What parts are required to fit one to the engine? How is it fitted?
    Thanks, Mike

Mike ,

Being a 37A motor it should have a speedo drive under the gearbox , a cup is bolted to the R/H fuel tank mounting & the speedo held in by a round plate , the cable is 24".

Chris

Comment

The speedo is the small Smiths 80 mph unit as fitted to the road bikes (the grey faced one with offset needle) but fitted on a bracket to the alloy beam (see http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...9QEwAg&dur=400) The drive comes from the gearbox via a short cable, of course the drive unit may not be fitted (or indeed the fixing point machined) if its not the original engine. If it is machined there will be a blanking plate but you will need to source the drive unit.
      Excelsior used a similar system on therr twins, I remember having a Coronet 3wheeler car back in the 1960's & could not find the speedo drive point on that, the gearbox had been changed and was not machined. I managed to arrange an alternative drive from rear wheel.

Back to your Anglian, you could (assuming that the rear hub has the fixing hole machined) fit a speedo drive as on the roadsters, again you would need to source the angle drive unit, & cable. Available from East Restorations see http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...do+Drive+Gears
      If you are not worried about authenticity & just want to be legal it would be cheaper & easier to fit a cycle speedo.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/08/2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Anglian speedo.

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
        Mike ,

Being a 37A motor it should have a speedo drive under the gearbox , a cup is bolted to the R/H fuel tank mounting & the speedo held in by a round plate , the cable is 24".

Chris
        Thank you for the help.
        Mike

Comment

Anglian

Hi Mike,

Do you want to restore your anglian to standard or you going to compete on it.

If you are going to use it off road I suggest you dont fit the drive to the rear wheel as it tends to collect rocks and twigs as you pass.

Fit it to the bracket just below the tank on the right hand side and run the cable between the engine plates to the gearbox. If you havnt got the right shell, I have a few with the drives.

Mine is fitted down below the carbb as I have knocked two off the front bracket. If your stuck give me a ring or see me at the next Pre 65 scramble.

Terry Sewell

Comment

Working...
          X