Fitting Anglian Petrol Tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Anglian Petrol Tap

Im fitting a new petrol tap to my Anglian tank.

A couple of questions.

First, is it helpful to fit a sealant between the tap thread and the fibreglass tank? I was thinking of using PTFE tape but was told to use blue loctite. Not sure about that. Id like to take the tap out again without fear of damaging the fibreglass.

Second. How much to tighten the tap. I was thinking a good hand tight and then a further quarter of a turn.

What do you reckon ? Many thanks.

Keith
    Dr Keith Beach

Your tank should have a brass or steel insert moulded in during manufacture that the fuel tap threads into, it does not thread directly into fibre glass. dave.

Comment

Surely the tap screws into a metal insert bonded into the tank, in which case all you need to do is fit a fibre washer (or two) to get tap pointing the right way.

Comment

Petrol Taps

Hello Keith,

I think you have the old Chestnut here, my ideas will differ from the next member that posts. But Hey-Ho thats what a Forum is about.

There are a lot of rubbish taps out their with treads that are not even recognizable, as you screw them into the Tank you can feel the side, and end-play.

OK so it`s limited damage, myself I go for a Brass lever type Tap of a good
        quality, parallel threads with a shoulder to fit a fibre washer, "always a washer"
        or don`t go their. If you need to step-down a size make sure the step-down
        union will take the fibre washer.(No tape needed, but a correct size washer is a must.)

As for how tight, you have to feel it, tight then a noggin ! To be factual, If it
        is loose Petrol will show, so keep an eye on it, if it weeps give it an eighth to a quarter turn.

After the Tap, use the 45 degree compression joint.(Brass)

I did hear the white PTFE tape works, however not been their.

Rob.

Comment

Thanks Rob, John and Dave

Yep there is a steel insert in the tank just dont want to overtighten the new tap and damage the bonded in insert.

Ive got a good (i think?) new brass lever tap with nice, parallel, thread and shoulder for a fibre washer so hopefully on then right track there.

I'll not use sealant and follow your advice and go with just the fibre washer(s) and an eighth to quarter turn past good finger tight.

Many thanks

Keith
          Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Good thread

Pardon the pun. I always use a fibre washer and PTFE tape. The dilema is getting the lever in the correct position (ie where you can operate it with gloves on) without a leak. It's a bit like fitting a new tyre. Sometimes it goes easy, and you wonder what all the fuss was about. And then...............

Comment

Thanks Phil.
              Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Working...
              X