Is this a TFS Trail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a TFS Trail?

Just about to prepare this bike for trials and I read about a TFS trail having a larger steel tank, bigger air cleaner and a high level front mudguard. Any thoughts on whether this might be one? Rear shocks are presently too long and footrests not right, carb is S25/6 if that helps. Frame is TFS7**, no plate on engine but big Greeves cast head and barrel. I always thought the air cleaner was off a Harley!

Regards
    Peter
    Attached Files

1" bars as well

p

Comment

Looks like a US TFS Trail frame but with UK spec parts added to me.

I used to own a 1965 TFS US version which was geared for trail riding (see my random photos in my profile). Yours has the rare and original TFS exhaust (UK), 21" front wheel (UK) but has the larger capacity US steel tank which was originally finished dull chrome. UK models had smaller alloy tanks. Engine was 34A villiers (US), air filter and seat are both correct for the US model and front/rear frame loop is also correct for aluminium mudguards (US). The original TFS trail 7/8" handle bars were painted silver (US) not chrome (UK). The gearbox gearing was different for the US trail versus the UK TFS trials bikes.

You have a very nice Greeves with an original hard to find TFS exhaust. The exhaust on yours is a huge improvement on the US spec peco? silencer box which were loud and not very effective.

Hope this helps, Paul

Comment

Hi Peter,

The villiers S25/6 carb is correct for the US spec TFS but for trials I would suggest the following modifications.

Drill a hole in your carb for an idle screw if it does not have one already, change the front countershaft sprocket for lower gear for trials work and add footpegs further back to help riding trials when standing up. The heel and toe gear shift pedal also works great for trials. I have a set of TFS trials footpegs and a new countershaft sprocket for sale if you are interested. Cheers Paul
        Last edited by pgc40; 09/02/2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Paul,
          Thanks for the replies. It is not essential I build this for trials as I have a TD Villiers and TD Triumph. I will endeavour to find out through the frame number how it left the Greeves factory and probably build accordingly. However a TFS Trail in UK trim does sound very appealing. I will pm you re-the parts

Regards
          Peter

Comment

Update. Bike not dispatched to UK. Very high frame no, much higher than any UK dispatched bike. Almost certainly sent to US as trail bike. Would anyone (probably in America) have a photograph of the forward footrests it would have had, or have any I could purchase?

Regards
            Peter

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowcoach View Post
              Update. Bike not dispatched to UK. Very high frame no, much higher than any UK dispatched bike. Almost certainly sent to US as trail bike. Would anyone (probably in America) have a photograph of the forward footrests it would have had, or have any I could purchase?

Regards
              Peter
              Hello.

I have a Nick Nicholson Motors sales ad of the USA spec TFS Trail. I'll dig it up and scan it for you.

Regards,
              Ken Sykes
              USA

Comment

Hi Peter - also check out the TFS Trail thread on this forum under projects originally posted by SteveM. I think he was trying to source the same TFS Trail footrest assembly.

Regards Paul
                Attached Files
                Last edited by pgc40; 18/02/2013, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                  Hello.

I have a Nick Nicholson Motors sales ad of the USA spec TFS Trail. I'll dig it up and scan it for you.

Regards,
                  Ken Sykes
                  USA
                  Here is the advert of the TFS Trail.

Ken Sykes
                  USA
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ken and Paul.
                    Thank you so much for replies and scans. I have now found the previous TFS trail thread. I have put any re-build on hold for more thought and will concentrate on preparing the TD Triumph for upcoming trials season

Regards
                    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowcoach View Post

Regards
                      Peter
                      Just as a matter of interest, what is the frame number? I have 24TFS385, which is not a TFS Trail, but I've been told was one of the last made.

It was always a UK bike - it went to Comerfords.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin
                        In the 700's!

Regards
                        Peter

Comment

Working...
                        X