Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Villiers Gearbox Clutch Arm Length Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers Gearbox Clutch Arm Length Help!

Hi, hope someone can help...
    I have the standard (?) 3. 1/8" clutch arm lever on the gearbox of my Greeves trials bike (Villiers engine & box).
    I have seen longer levers than this fitted to the gearbox with a minor frame mod to allow the cable to be moved rearwards accordingly.
    Does anyone know what different lengths were / are available and what length is preferable to make the clutch 'lighter' for trials work.
    Best wishes........

Originally posted by Gr11mpy View Post
    Hi, hope someone can help...
    I have the standard (?) 3. 1/8" clutch arm lever on the gearbox of my Greeves trials bike (Villiers engine & box).
    I have seen longer levers than this fitted to the gearbox with a minor frame mod to allow the cable to be moved rearwards accordingly.
    Does anyone know what different lengths were / are available and what length is preferable to make the clutch 'lighter' for trials work.
    Best wishes........
    I believe the longer arm came from the road twins. The experts would know!

Kenny Sykes
    USA

Comment

The long arm is off the 2T, 3T, 4T twin engines .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
        The long arm is off the 2T, 3T, 4T twin engines .

Chris
        Like I said the experts would know!

Thanks Chris!

Kenny

Comment

How long ?

Thats great many thanks. How long are the ones from the twins though?

Comment

Just a word of caution! I fitted a (very) long arm that I bought from a supplier when I built my Anglian, mainly because everyone else seemed to fit them. I then found that the clutch arm required more travel than my Domino lever could provide at the other end of the cable! I could either have slip or drag, the choice was mine!

I have since reverted to a standard arm and find that with a lined cable, the clutch is perfectly OK.

Bit of a shame since I brazed a bracket to suit the arm to the engine cradle!

Comment

Thanks...

Hi Rob,
              Most interesting. I hadn't thought about the subsequent effect on the handlebar lever.
              I'll try one of Venhills 'Featherlite cables' and see what the effect is. I do run a clutch lightening device 'in-line' on my B40 so may try that too to gauge effect.
              Cheers........

Comment

long arm of the law

Hi All,

I tried the long arm mod on the Hawkstone and had the same problem, It was either slipping or dragging

I know that modern relined/remanufactured clutch plates for villiers are slightly thinner than the originals and have heard that genuine villiers plates and the long arm work ok?

I did fit a new lined clutch cable and it made a real difference

Regards

Scott
                Last edited by scott151; 29/01/2013, 11:08 AM. Reason: added comment

Comment

Just a suggestion but have you tried replacing the handle bar levers? I had stiff clutch action and discovered that the bolt hole on my 40 year old clutch lever on my handle bar had worn oval

Comment

Levers.

Hi, Levers are new and of good quality, just looking for clutch action utopia. Thanks for your response tho'....

Comment

Yes, mine are new Domino's too! A friend has just lengthened his standard arm so I will be interested to see what length he has made it and whether it works!

I am using those Villiers composite plates (Capsco or something?) that they seemed to use on 3-wheelers.

Comment

Working...
                      X