Leading link vs Ceriani on Anglian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leading link vs Ceriani on Anglian

I'm in the process of getting my 1968 Anglian back in riding condition. It has had it's share of modifications over the years. It has a Ceriani fork on it, but I have been told my frame number indicates it came with a leading link fork. I would like to put a correct leading link fork on it. How do I identify the correct fork? Would a fork from a 1963 24MDS be correct? Thanks for any tips for a beginning Greeves owner. Hal

Hal,

I don't know your frame number but the early Anglians had banana forks, not the MDS-type leading links. There are various theories about fitting tele forks to Anglians, types of fork yoke, etc. but I am not an expert in this area.

If you give me your frame number, I should be able to tell you what it was fitted with when new.

Rob

PS - there are some old magazine articles about giving the low-down on the Anglian. Possibly I should scan them and make them available.

Comment

Mine is a 24TJSD. Even if the leading links have less performance, I would still prefer to have them on if that is what the bike was delivered with. Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Hill Farm View Post
        Mine is a 24TJSD. Even if the leading links have less performance, I would still prefer to have them on if that is what the bike was delivered with. Hal
        Have no fear, a banana-fork Anglian handles beautifully. It has been said (comments anyone?) that fitting Cerianis was more a nod to fashion than a real advance.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Anglian Forks

A few years ago I wrote at some length in LL about this very subject after testing each possible Greeves Banana and Tele fork/and yoke combination by fitting each variation in turn to my own bike and then riding each set up in turn in at least three British Bike Championship National trials. I.E. A long enough test to at least tell me which I thought did the job best over every type of terrain.

My personal conclusion was the bikes steering was far the best with the Banana's, indeed they were designed for the machine and vastly superior. but this is only part of the answer because each and all of the numerous Greeves option tele forks and yokes gave more actual terrain feel, especially over rocks.

That is not however to say they rode the rocks better, just I could feel and got more feedback about what the front wheel was doing than I did with the Banana's, though the Bananas still did the job just as well, indeed arguably a bit better.

Please bear in mind however Greeves made three different versions of the trials 'Banana's alone, plus then probably as many with alltogether different steering angles for MX, which were not be at all suited for trials use, so you do need to get the RIGHT Banana's!

You do also have to get used to the Banana forks action, and in my experience not everyone can or will due to this comparitive lack of feel, indeed many riders just like to feel the duck and dive action of teleforks even though a terlefork bikes steering geometry actually changes quite drastically as it happens, whereas the Bananas still have as much overall movement yet with hardly any geometry change from full depression through to full stretch.

My own bottom line then and now was I actually came to like each set up, even that of the final and most radical (extra long wheelbase) TJHS with its pushed out front wheel spindle, but each in turn did take quite a lot of getting used to, hence if you wish to come to a reasoned conclusion yourself, try and see if you can have a good go on someone elses bike before deciding, but importantly give whatever the set up a fair chance.

Finally, and in case you do choose Banana's, I cannot stress enough that it is quite VITAL to get the front DAMPING rate and spring poundage dead right. I.E. They really do need to be VERY VERY soft on both counts or else your Banana's will hardly work and will also feel even more than wooden! I actually find it best to have almost NO damping at all and only about 55lb springs. Good Luck. Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don Morley View Post
            A few years ago I wrote at some length in LL about this very subject after testing each possible Greeves Banana and Tele fork/and yoke combination by fitting each variation in turn to my own bike and then riding each set up in turn in at least three British Bike Championship National trials.
            Leading Link # 59,60,61 - August, October and December 1994. Quite a tour de force!
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Lots of good info! It sounds like I need to educate myself well before I start making purchases and changes. Is there a good book out there that would help me identify the correct forks? I do like leading link forks, having had a fair number of different makes with leading link forks (Ural, BMW, Hercules and a few minibikes back in my youth).

Comment

Banana's etc

Best if you can try and get back copies of the leading link issues Colin mentions, they were also illustrated. Don

Comment

I'm in the process of getting my 1968 Anglian back in riding condition. It has had it's share of modifications over the years. It has a Ceriani fork on it, but I have been told my frame number indicates it came with a leading link fork. I would like to put a correct leading link fork on it. How do I identify the correct fork? Would a fork from a 1963 24MDS be correct? Thanks for any tips for a beginning Greeves owner. Hal
                  Hi Hal,

Did you post a picture on the Penton Owner's Group of your Anglian?

Regards,
                  Kenny Sykes
                  USA

Comment

Yes, that was me, and they pointed me in this direction. I've learned a lot already, and much appreciated. Hal

Comment

Yes, that was me, and they pointed me in this direction. I've learned a lot already, and much appreciated. Hal
                      Hi Hal,

What you have is an Anglian with REH front forks...These are factory installed. Your Greeves was a special order by East Coast Distributor Randy Wilson equipped for use for east coast Enduros and trail riding. By looking at the seat, I bet it still has the original Challenger type seat pan; it's been extended by someone else and is not the way the factory designed their seats... I can still see the original mounts attached to the shock mounts...all other Anglian trials had the small fiberglass pan. The larger steel tank and lights were also added options per Wilson's specs.

I'll try to find an advert in my archives for you. This Greeves looks very similar to what Mary Driver used in the 1968 ISDT, only yours has the full width hubs and not the Greeves conical type.

Congrats! You've located a special optioned Greeves Anglian!

Regards,
                      Kenny Sykes
                      USA

Comment

Hal,

Here is a pic of Mary Driver. This special ISDT Anglian used the same fork as yours, but Mary has the conical hub and an alloy tank from a Royal Enfield (I think).

Maybe Chris can tell us more about this machine. Anyways Your Anglian is based off this design.

Cheers!
                        Kenny
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                          Hal,

Here is a pic of Mary Driver. This special ISDT Anglian used the same fork as yours, but Mary has the conical hub and an alloy tank from a Royal Enfield (I think).

Maybe Chris can tell us more about this machine. Anyways Your Anglian is based off this design.

Cheers!
                          Kenny

Hal,

I've located a snap shop from the Nicholson Motors archives. There's your Greeves!

Note the Challenger seat and the set back of the bars which REH used.

Kenny Sykes
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have just been to see Mary and Dennis, and that pic of her and a couple of mine taken last week will probably be in a book being written about the 1968 ISDT. I'll put the new pics in a different thread.

Comment

REH Forks

Just a few points on the subject of REH forks. REH was a copy of Ceriani forks. Robin Humphries got into a few scrapes with Ceriani in the 60s and 70s for infriging their design copyright. The differences between the two makes are quite subtle. Noticeable differences being the pinch bolt on the bottom of the slider being omitted, yet the casting is in place. Also the drain plug screw. On the ceriani it is placed behind the slider( out of harms way) the REH is on the side.

No doubt other people will identify differences. As far as I am aware there is no interchangeability on sliders and legs.

I have an original sales brochure and will post when I find it.

As a side issue REH also made front and rear hubs. Most of their output went to Sprite and subsequently to the States as American Eagle. Sprite also got into trouble with Husqvarna for copying their engines. Albeit mirror image copies.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X