Greeves Scottish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Scottish

I recently purchased this Greeves Scottish, and would like to find out a little more about it.

Frame number is 24TD...

Original UK registration number is 328 AVN.

I am aware that the wheels are not correct as the original wheels came with the bike.
    I think that the bike was privately imported into Australia many years ago, but I have no idea when this was

Can anybody assist me with any information on this machine?

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rarpos7; 26/05/2010, 12:41 AM.

As a GRA member you can get a free check on despatch records from Peter Smith (address in Leading Link) just send a frame number rubbing & SAE for reply, The reg. number is a 1961 Yorkshire(NR) one, for which all records have been destroyed, (purley academic as bike now in Oz) This would tie in with a 24TD being a 1962 model but built 1961.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 25/05/2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Very nice indeed Ross! A marvellous find, and looks very original, apart from the hubs as you say. It also has the rare original lighting set fitted I see, which was listed as a 'factory option'. The last time one of those headlights (with brackets) came up on EBay (and I've only seen that one come up!) it went for silly money.....The rear lamp looks a little suspect though, although I'm sure we have the factory drawings for the right part-combined numberplate and lamp holder, if you want to go that way. Rear lamps to suit (pattern) are available in the trade. The seat also looks 'modified', although there are original types (again, pattern) available.

Rob has all the original factory drawings and can again be contacted through the club (see 'Leading Link'), although I might be able to help there too. I'll have a dig and see what I can find. If you send me a PM with your email address I can send you some stuff that way (as attachments.)

So, what I wanna know is....how come all these old Greeves keep turning up in Oz in such original and unmolested condition then eh?!! (I'm thinking of Geoff Lemars lovely and amazingly original 360MX4.) I think we should be told!

Fantastic bike Ross, many congratulations!

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/05/2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Reg No

I have checked reg No 328 AVN on DVLA web site & its not live so
        Most likely its never been recorded at Swansea in which case you will need to either reclaim it or get a new reg mark, have you any documents? Have you given correct reg number?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          Most likely its never been recorded at Swansea in which case you will need to either reclaim it or get a new reg mark
          He is in Oz, John...
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

He did say UK registration though!
            Original UK registration number is 328 AVN

Comment

Scottish

Good Morning All,

Many thanks for the answers so far.

The bike still had its UK registration plates with it, which is how I was able to quote the number.
              It had also been registered here in Victoria, and I am following that avenue up.

Regards,

Ross

Comment

Greeves Scottish update

The Greeves Scottish machine is now up and running, and has the correct wheels fitted.
                Attached Files

Comment

24TD in Oz

Hi Ross.....Very nice job. Looks like the spitting image of my first 20TDS that I bought whilst still at school in 1970, except for the grey subframe! I had the lighting kit, but the Prefect, (Upper 6th - 18 years old, seemed grown up to a 15 year old!), that I bought it from had put a Ford Anglia Headlight on the Mudguard, which shook like mad as you rode along the road. I gave the kit away with the bike, several spare engines, the original Docs, inc Log book and Workshop manuals for £25......I had this girlfriend you see.

Told you I was certifiable long before the Doctors confirmed it!

Comment

Greeves Ranger

I purchased a Greeves Ranger at the weekend. Imported from the USA.
                    Not fully complete but will restore really nicely. This is my 24th Greeves.
                    Attached Files

Comment

24th Greeves

Hi Ross

Nice bike. It would look great with a Triumph engine!!!

Phil

Comment

Working...
                      X