Ajax 250 conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ajax 250 conversions

Does anyone know the ealiest date when these conversions became available. Thanks David

David ,

The earliest advert I have seen for an Ajax Conversion is 1957 .

Chris

Comment

Pearson made them for the 8E before the 9E so may have been earlier

Comment

AJAX conversions

Thanks Chris and John for that info.

I would assume in both cases the conversion was to a 250. On the basis that the 8E production overlapped the 9E between 1955 and 1958 it could be that the earliest ones were in fact 1957. What I am really trying to find out is if they were out in 1956.

As an aside, is the PCD of the of the 2 engines barrel mountings the same?

Cheers David

Comment

Ajax conversion

David
          According to threads on this link http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...-james-trials/ the Ajax conversion for the 6E/8E was only 210cc. Not sure if the stud spacings are same on 8E/9E but I dont think its possible to interchange cylinder barrels. I think the 8E bottom end is too weak to take out to a full 250.

Comment

Hi all,

I had an Ajax conversion barrel and head, my one had a 63mm piston which had a domed head to it, that would have made it 225cc, but a 1h piston is also 63mm.

I think they were marketed mainly to upgrade the 6/7/8e engines.

I have heard of a full 250 version aswell, they did quite a few different types, I have seen about 3 different type heads.

I do not know when they came out though.

Scott151

Comment

I've got one my Scotish 9e. Reg 1958 as a 197cc
              Andrew.

Comment

Ajax conversions

Hi everybody

Thanks for the feedback. I'd already spotted the James article on Trials Central and wondered if the 210 conversion was similar to the 210 Invader and aimed specifically at a Kart racing formula. I echo John's sentiments re the bottom end of the 8E and the only Ajax 8Es I know of are 250 using highly modified Rotrax full circle cranks

Cheers David

Comment

Ajax on 8E

Just for info I bought an Ajax 250 conversion for my 8E Villiers engined grass tracker in 1965. I fitted it with a Wal Phillips fuel injector and had a load of fun racing it in the SE for 4 years.... alongside my 500 JAP
                  Not sure where this idea that the 8E bottom half wasn't strong enough came from as I used to wring its neck!!!!

Ken

Comment

Ajax ad

Just found this ad on the Francis Barnett website,thought it may be of interest.Says its from 1957.Click image for larger version

Name:	Ajax ad 1957.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	57017

Comment

Harry,
                      Interesting advert thanks for posting on the forum. I've got 250 conversion fitted to my bike.
                      Andrew.

Comment

Working...
                      X