X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder bottom end noise?

Hi all!

Wondered if anyone with any input.

Got the 1971 Pathfinder, trials version.

I love her, but makes an insane racket from the cases...disappears when clutch in. Similar to noise that mid to late 80's 4 stroke Hondas make, or it seems so to me

Shifts smoothe...no catching or grinding or anything like that...no false neutrals or any abnormalities.

Wondering....sorry about terminology...shoot...its lost, long day at work and suffering brain fartitis.

Some cars have these types of gears, they are noisy as all get out...

Thanks for any input and all the patience ya'll have had for me over the years.

Tammy

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
    Hi all!

Wondered if anyone with any input.

Got the 1971 Pathfinder, trials version.

I love her, but makes an insane racket from the cases...disappears when clutch in. Similar to noise that mid to late 80's 4 stroke Hondas make, or it seems so to me

Shifts smoothe...no catching or grinding or anything like that...no false neutrals or any abnormalities.

Wondering....sorry about terminology...shoot...its lost, long day at work and suffering brain fartitis.

Some cars have these types of gears, they are noisy as all get out...

Thanks for any input and all the patience ya'll have had for me over the years.

Tammy
    Hi Tammy.

It's a Puch...seriously my Pathfinder does it too. It might be because the clutch is attached to the crank...also those big radial fins transmit quite a bit of noise. There just might be some strange harmonics going on in there that can't be explained when the clutch is engaged or released.

Chris might weigh in on this and will have a better answer than I.

I thought you had the Enduro version...we need pics!

Kenny Sykes

Comment

Or as Bert might have said; "They all do that sir.."
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Check the clutch lifter , the bearings wear in them and can make an awful noise that is magnified by the barrel fins .

One easy answer is to cut four inches off the barrel fins on either side .
        It won't sound so loud then .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
          Check the clutch lifter , the bearings wear in them and can make an awful noise that is magnified by the barrel fins .

One easy answer is to cut four inches off the barrel fins on either side .
          It won't sound so loud then .

Chris
          I suppose it might help to use the Japanese solution of forcing rubber bungs in between the fins to dampen the noise a bit. What d'ya reckon?
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

I shaved the barrels on the works bikes to keep them running hot , it was found that waiting between sections let the engine cool down too much .

The rubber bungs between fins works but doesn't cure the initial noise problem of the clutch lifter bearing wearing out , in extreme circumstances the bearing wears so much that the clutch doesn't get enough lift and drags .

Chris

Comment

Thanks guys!

I appreciate it. I will look or have Dave look into the clutch lifter.

I thought it might be some added..."character" Thats what Dad taught me to call those little quirks

I have seen those rubber goobers...guess I never put 2 and 2 together to come up with 4!

We removed the home made end piece yesterday and fired her up...she is a first kick starter...something to be said for those coils....WOW, loud thing she is but I LOVE that crisp pop

Heres some pictures guys...her name is "Esmerelda"

oops, only 1 photo will upload...not sure why all same size etc. Enjoy and thanks again!
              Tammy
              Attached Files

Comment

Re: rubber blocks, I have a Can-Am 250 Army bike that I did a small resto job on...no longer Matt Green! When tidying the barrel and head, a complete bucket load of the rubbers was removed from between the fins. Obviously they needed to keep the resonances down for covert operations!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                  Re: rubber blocks, I have a Can-Am 250 Army bike that I did a small resto job on...no longer Matt Green! When tidying the barrel and head, a complete bucket load of the rubbers was removed from between the fins. Obviously they needed to keep the resonances down for covert operations!

Brain (ha) I love it!
                  Dave is Canadian, aye, and we have alot of fun with it I tease him all the time about being a spy His nickname is Froggy. He would kill me if he knew I posted this, but it's alot of fun

Please, this post in fun and don't take offense anyone. I would never seriously poke fun at anyones herritage. Thanks.

Rambeling Tammy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X