Scottish Gearing Query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Gearing Query.

Hi, having never trialed my Greeves 24TCS before, and returning maybe, to Trials after 20 years I was wondering what the best gearing would be ?????
    I am running standard 32A primary gearing.
    wide ratio gearbox. ( Maybe have the close ratio gears in a box, but gearbox is fine at the moment )
    Currently road gearing of 15 tooth gearbox sprocket and 44 rear wheel sprocket.
    The rear sprocket, that fits straight on to my Scottish is a TS100 no machining required from memory, with the max being 53 tooth.
    From memory one tooth on the front equals three on the back.
    Looking forward to you comments. ( will this open a can of worms ???? )

whitehillbillies

Hi, You are looking to get first gear down to about 40/1, keep std primary. I am running 12 g/box 60 r/wheel, will try 62 next time. Running the 12 at the g/box becomes quite tight around the swingarm pivot, use make a rubber/nylon guide to protect this area.

Please do not worry about the worms its the snakes that are the problem.

Best Regards Willie
    Last edited by 340villiers; 27/04/2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 340villiers View Post

Please do not worry about the worms its the snakes that are the problem.

Best Regards Willie
      GRA members have no fear of snakes Willie! This is what happened to the rattler that tried to bite Bearingman's dog in his backyard......! (true!)

Nah....it's the Emus that you've really got to watch out for.....

Brian.
      Attached Files

Comment

Is that Adrian on the right brian!, if it is, that hair restorers working..

Comment

Any advantage in reducing the 20T engine sprocket????

whitehillbillies

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
            Castrol R40 clearly is the elixir of life

Comment

Just to add to the debate with no emu's -

I tried an 18T on my Anglian. The standard primary chain runs very slack and quite a large tensioner block is needed. One pin less on the primary chain (half-link fitted) was too tight and would not go on.

I am going to try a 17T with the shorter pri chain next.

I did ride the bike in the Perce Simon trial last year with 20T engine, 15T gearbox and 60T wheel and it was OK in open sections provided you didn't fancy riding too slowly! I got to section 18 without a 5 anyway. Was overgeared and would not have done for a nadgery trial.

Comment

Makes you wonder how the works riders got on with the standard gearing .

Chris

Comment

hi chris, what was the standard works gearing, just out of interest????

whitehillbillies

Comment

Standard primary , 15t gearbox , 58t rear & wide ratio gearbox .

Chris

Comment

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by dave higgins

Kim275
                      Castrol R40 clearly is the elixir of life

It seems the Great Druid's words are already beginning to come true, eating and drinking to excess does indeed have it's downside.

Comment

Chris,

I'll tell you how the works riders coped, they rode sensible sections! Eg. a muddy ditch with only starts and ends cards.

The Perce Simon was great and I just about coped with 2 extra teeth on the back sprocket (60T) but it was touch and go!

I ride my Enfield on about 32:1 and this is OK but a lot of people are on 40:1.

I am not a great believer in very low ratios as I'm no good at deciding which gear to use or changing gear in sections.

Some sections you need a hinge in the middle of the bike and I think it would tax dear old DR to get round some of them! They are all twists and turns and some sections have so many cards, they look like bushes with litter bins emptied into them!

Bring back the old style and we could ride with old style gearing!

Rob

Comment

Rob ,

I suppose it is horses for courses , the bikes & methods of riding are sooooooo different .

I suspect an old rider from the sixties might get on well with a modern bike , where as a rider of today might struggle on an old puddle jumper .

Chris

Comment

There's lots of moans about the "new" NO STOP rules from the newer riders. They have these new trick bikes that are now only as good as the ones from 20 years ago. The advantages built into these modern bikes have been nullified.

Comment

Scottish Gearing

My rear sprocket is 64 and the rest about as you others have stated and from riding from 1963 on have not changed the gearing much at all, going lower and lower geared gets you into more trouble some times when having to make ultra quick changes due to the layots of a lot of sections today! two routes are more than enough to take one trial I started in had 4 routes! and the observers dont seem to know what route is what let alone the rider.

I think more marks get lost by error in finding your way, and getting confused than riding abillity, I know we will never get back to the good old white cards spaced at wide intervals and long flat out second climbs, but our old bikes and riders (and the younger chaps also) dont require the leg, arm ,braking lock to lock sections that pogo sticks use.

Comment

Working...
                              X