Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Ranger on its way home

Hi All,

I must be mad, but I've bought a Ranger in the USA and am shipping it back to the UK. It was cheap, but of course the shipping, customs etc. will all add to the cost. I did look for one over here, but there aren't that many in the UK!

I've seen various claims as to production figures, but how many of these bikes were actually made?

Many thanks,

Andrew
    Attached Files

Andrew ,

That was a good price , job to say how many were actually made as the export records no longer exist .

The home market & export bike lists were kept in different filing cabinets , as I found out a couple of monthes ago . I only managed to "free" the home market lists

The home market records will show how many were sold here , if any , and any gaps in the numbers were exported .

Chris

Comment

Hi Andrew,

I saw this bike in Boise, Idaho 2 years ago and the motorcycle salvage yard wanted $5000 for it! you got a steal.

I would be very interested in how easy it is and the costs involved to ship a Greeves back to England from the United States, UK custom duty and registering it at the DVLC. Are you having it dismantled and mailed or crated as a complete bike?

I was also told that if you label parts as 'vintage motorcycle parts' or gift you can avoid paying custom duty (because they are second hand I presume) but not sure if there is any truth in it I have never had to pay custom duty on ebay parts mailed from England to the US. Its seems a lottery as whether duty is paid when parts are sent to UK. Some of my ebay buyers have been hit with UK customs duty and others have not. Does anyone know what the reason is for this? Paul
      Last edited by pgc40; 19/04/2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I think the duty paid in the UK depends how the person that opens the parcel feels , also I think random picks are made .

I've been caught several times with bits from the US .

Chris

Comment

I don`t see why you should have to pay duty on secound hand parts, when the original sale would have included, some kind of purchase tax.
          My snap on dealer, charges vat on secoundhand tools & boxes!!, whats that all about?, but thats it! rant over, deep breaths...

Comment

Ranger Repatriated.

Hi Andy,

Many congratulations, a really nice original bike!

Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
              Hi Andrew,

I saw this bike in Boise, Idaho 2 years ago and the motorcycle salvage yard wanted $5000 for it! you got a steal.

I would be very interested in how easy it is and the costs involved to ship a Greeves back to England from the United States, UK custom duty and registering it at the DVLC. Are you having it dismantled and mailed or crated as a complete bike?

I was also told that if you label parts as 'vintage motorcycle parts' or gift you can avoid paying custom duty (because they are second hand I presume) but not sure if there is any truth in it I have never had to pay custom duty on ebay parts mailed from England to the US. Its seems a lottery as whether duty is paid when parts are sent to UK. Some of my ebay buyers have been hit with UK customs duty and others have not. Does anyone know what the reason is for this? Paul

Hi Paul,

The bike will be tethered to a wooden frame and put in a container. The extra cost comes from having to transport the bike from Boise, Idaho to Oakland, CA which is a bit of a pain as its about $500. Shipping from Oakland to the UK is about £500.
              The import duty will be only 5% hopefully. Normally, for post-1950 bikes there is VAT to add, at 20%. However, if the vehicle can be shown to have historic interest, or is rare, the VAT can be waived.

So all in all, its not difficult, but much easier if the bike is near a port! And cheaper.

Registration is a simple matter and not costly.

As regards buying parts in the USA, my experience has been much the same as Chris - if parts are sent USPS then the chances of paying duty on them seems totally random. I always get stung on large parcels, however, irrespective of what it says on the documentation. Anything sent UPS, DHL etc.. always gets the custom charges plus handling charges!

I will keep the forum updated as to the bikes progress

Cheers,
              Andrew

Comment

Andy ,

Any idea of the frame number ?, this will help in finding out how may were made .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
                  Andy ,

Any idea of the frame number ?, this will help in finding out how may were made .

Chris

Hi Chris,

The frame number is 24CS1xx.

Cheers,
                  Andrew
                  Last edited by Andy Z; 04/09/2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

As greeves started frame numbers at 101 , yours is the 170th made , kinda blows the "only 100 made" claim by people out of the water .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
                      As greeves started frame numbers at 101 , yours is the 170th made , kinda blows the "only 100 made" claim by people out of the water .

Chris
                      Pardon me for being a bit dense here, but if they started at 101 and mine is 170, doesn't that make it the 69th one built???

Cheers,
                      Andrew

Comment

Andy ,

Quite correct , me having a senior moment .

Chris

Comment

No 70th, it's 101 to 170 inclusive. you need to include your own number.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                            No 70th, it's 101 to 170 inclusive. you need to include your own number.
                            Of course you're right Brian! I think I'm having premature senior moments myself!

Comment

It's is catching .

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X