X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades for vintage/classic trials

Hello all,

Couple of questions....

I have a 1965 TFS trail (US spec) and I am thinking of making some trick upgrades so I can compete along side the Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Bultaco, Fantic trial bikes since the AHRMA (American Historic Racing Motorcycling Association) events does not distinguish between older trials iron and the later more modern, lightweight machines from the 70's.

(a) If I replaced the leading link with Ceriani telescopic forks would that make it handle better in competitive Trials?

(b) I want to change the gearing on my 34a villiers engine to a more trial friendly version. Should I change my front final drive sprocket from 15 tooth down to a 13 tooth? My rear sprocket has 56 teeth.

(c) I would also like to change the position of my foot pegs and set them further back. Does any one have a set of the foot peg brackets/hangers they would like to sell or know where I can have a set made?

(d) I heard that to make the clutch lever lighter that Bill Wilkinsons clutch cable arm has been lengthened. Can I buy one of these or again does any one know where I can have one made?

(e) Do I need a chain tensioner?

(f) I noticed alot of classic Greeves trials bikes have two exhaust silencers instead of one. Is there a reason for this configuration?

I am also looking for the following parts, namely ... Anglian chrome header pipe in good condition to fit Greeves alloy barrel, Griffon 250 front wheel hub and stay bar and shortened villiers gear shift pedal.

I am a beginner at trials so any helpful tips and comments would be very welcome (apart from keep your feet up and I should buy an Anglian ).

Many thanks,

Paul
    Attached Files

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
    Hello all,

Couple of questions....

I have a 1965 TFS trail (US spec) and I am thinking of making some trick upgrades so I can compete along side the Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Bultaco, Fantic trial bikes since the AHRMA (American Historic Racing Motorcycling Association) events does not distinguish between older trials iron and the later more modern, lightweight machines from the 70's.

(a) If I replaced the leading link with Ceriani telescopic forks would that make it handle better in competitive Trials?

(b) I want to change the gearing on my 34a villiers engine to a more trial friendly version. Should I change my front final drive sprocket from 15 tooth down to a 13 tooth? My rear sprocket has 56 teeth.

(c) I would also like to change the position of my foot pegs and set them further back. Does any one have a set of the foot peg brackets/hangers they would like to sell or know where I can have a set made?

(d) I heard that to make the clutch lever lighter that Bill Wilkinsons clutch cable arm has been lengthened. Can I buy one of these or again does any one know where I can have one made?

(e) Do I need a chain tensioner?

(f) I noticed alot of classic Greeves trials bikes have two exhaust silencers instead of one. Is there a reason for this configuration?

I am also looking for the following parts, namely ... Anglian chrome header pipe in good condition to fit Greeves alloy barrel, Griffon 250 front wheel hub and stay bar and shortened villiers gear shift pedal.

I am a beginner at trials so any helpful tips and comments would be very welcome (apart from keep your feet up and I should buy an Anglian ).

Many thanks,

Paul
    Hi Paul!

AHRMA does have a class for our Greeves (Premier Lightweight) and I use my stock Scottish TE and works well. I just use new Dunlop tires.

Some of the USA spec TFS used different gear ratios than the standard trials model, so check what you have in your box...I would start there. I believe the longer clutch arm comes from a 2T...maybe our road going experts can confirm this.

You have such a nice TFS, I'd hate to see you change it! Locating an Anglian with Teles would be the way to go if you can locate one.

I hope to make it up to a few events in Oregon this season, maybe we could team up and I'll help you out.

Kenny

Comment

Tfs

Hi Paul

I have a TFS with banana forks. Correctly set up with some good quality spring damper units I believe they are a match for telescopic forks. There is also the possibility to fit longer units and therefore alter the way the bike steers, especially if you combine the rear suspension in the plan. Banana forks also provide an almost constant wheelbase.

I would concentrate on getting your existing bike to be as reliable as possible. Get the carburation spot on. Having a good ride, finishing the event and going home intact is more important than a trick bike.

Remember, only alter one thing at a time.

By the way the griffon front brake was quite heavy compared to a full width British Hub Co. unit.

Phil
      Last edited by Phil Hyde; 01/03/2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for the replies and the helpful advice. Sticking with the front leading link for now is probably the way to go. I will instead concentrate on getting the TFS mechanically sound and eliminating any annoying gremlins.

The engine runs sweet (carburation is spot on and the ignition from Simon Bateman works perfect) but I would like to try to improve the clutch action. The handle bar lever is very stiff (I have pulled the nipple off 3 clutch cables to date and had hours of fun playing around with the adjuster). I have tried loosening the cap nut to where it feels comfortable and works really good but then the clutch slips. I have replaced the cable and springs. The clutch basket and plates are all in good shape. The cap nut is either too tight and the clutch lever very stiff or just right and the clutch slips. Do I need to add shims to prevent the clutch slip?

I think the heel and toe gear shift lever is a great idea. Thanks Marcelle. Do you know where I can buy one? The gear ratios I have on my TFS trail (US spec) are:

1st - 27.9
        2nd - 18.6
        3rd - 10.4
        4th - 7.7

I believe these are quite a lot different ratios to the TFS trial (UK spec). Does anyone have the gearbox parts I need to convert it to the UK gear ratios?

I am still looking for an Anglian header pipe as I have found an aftermarket silencer for sale but because I will keep the leading link front end, I no longer need a Griffon wheel hub.

Kenny, thanks, that would be great to enter the Premier Lightweight AHRMA events in Oregon later this year. I need all the help I can get! Just let me know which ones you plan on attending and I will be there with my 'new and improved' Greeves trial bike

Cheers,

Paul
        Last edited by pgc40; 02/03/2011, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Update TFS Trail improvements

Just a few recent upgrades that I have done to my TFS trail. New TFS footpegs and heel/toe gear shift which makes a big difference to my riding position and better handling My stiff clutch action was because the original 40 yr old handle bar levers were so old that the bolt hole were worn oval instead of round! and finally I managed to adapt and fit a Greeves exhaust system from a Ranger parts bike. It is alot quieter than before and the power is much smoother. This is by far the best exhaust I have tried (and I have tried a few different types).

My TFS is turning into an Anglian more every day To see it in action go to my blog at http://greevesmotorcycles.blogspot.com/ to watch a short video of it submerging in a deep puddle of water

Paul
          Attached Files
          Last edited by pgc40; 17/06/2011, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
            To see it in action go to my blog at http://greevesmotorcycles.blogspot.com/ to watch a short video of it submerging in a deep puddle of water

Paul
            Hi Paul,

That's deeper than it looks! At least you chose the right line through the pond, unlike the guy behind you!

Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

Even if you spend a fair amount of time and money on modifying your Greeves, its never going to be comparable to more modern trials machinery. Best thing to do would be to see if there are any ITSA sanctioned events in your area, which will have a proper class for your particular bike in standard form.

Comment

Working...
              X