Griffon QUBMk 2 Projects- bike or bits wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon QUBMk 2 Projects- bike or bits wanted

I am looking to start a Griffon QUB Mk 2 project - so I can do some twinshock racing.
    I reckon it is probably at least 25 years since a mk 2 was used in anger - and there were very few made - (maybe Stormer or our US members may have more background)?. So it would be good to see a Mk2 out there racing again - as it represented the very last racing bike Greeves made.

If anybody has a Mk2 they want to part with - or a Griffon Frame, or a QUB engine - or even just a QUB Barrel/Head - so I can get the project underway - I would be interested.

I will be expecting to completely re-build and make competitive for Twinshock racing - so am not looking for a showroon bike /bits.
    Cheers Kim

Hi kim.
    Don`t know for any parts, but it sounds like a great idea & wish you well with the project.
    I don`t now your area, but here in the south west i know there are a few clubs that are thinking of introducing a post 74/pre 78 type class to fill in a gap & hopefully boost declining numbers at local meetings.
    I think thats where your soon to be mk 2 will really shine, but having said that i`d pay good money to see it kick a 490 maico`s butt in the normal t/shock meets. dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
      Hi kim.
      Don`t know for any parts, but it sounds like a great idea & wish you well with the project.
      I don`t now your area, but here in the south west i know there are a few clubs that are thinking of introducing a post 74/pre 78 type class to fill in a gap & hopefully boost declining numbers at local meetings.
      I think thats where your soon to be mk 2 will really shine, but having said that i`d pay good money to see it kick a 490 maico`s butt in the normal t/shock meets. dave
      Anything which would kick the Maico's butt's would be a very good thing!!!
      Great comments!

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

.......................so long as it doesn't take you away from the Pre-65, and Greeves Championship, Kim.

You'd be sadly missed.

Comment

Thanks for the support Guys - when I get the project underway - I will get some photo's together of the progress............

And maybe i get some little tiny maico badge stickers with crosses through them - and every time i take one down in a twin shock event I stick it on the tank....deferrentially placed BENEATH the Greeves badge

And John - no worries - I will still be mounting a Greeves championship campaign on my QUB - and also a Pre 60 on the hawkstone........I just need to compete more often to keep up my fitness and speed...as I get older

Comment

Kim - I've got a sales brochure - that could help with the initial fantasy stage of the project!

There are also a few drawings in the archive, including the cylinder.

I'll keep a lookout at Telford this weekend and also put a 'wanted' add on the stand - you never know!

....now..... where can I find that '61 ISDT bike!!??

Comment

Thanks Rob - that will all help...........I can use the brochure in my presentation pack to the Missues - to get her endorsement of the project

Enjoy Telford - Main component I need to start the project is a QUB BArrel and head

Many thanks
              Cheers Kim

Comment

Steve Humphries made expert in the late 70s aboard a Griffon. The bike he used was only sold a year or 2 ago , I had a look but did not really have the bucks to spare. If you get in contact with him he might be able to help as his bike was highly modified!

Comment

Cheers stormer I will try and track him down he would have some good Maico beating tips! got some good assistance from dave harpur yesterday so hopefully I will get the project underway soon

Comment

same here...

I've dug out my dads QUB Mk2 - its spent the last 15 years in a dry garage. Needs a total overhaul - I'd be up for share costs on any 'new parts' that may be needing to be manufactured etc. Ive just finished re-building my CR 500 - i'm going to enter the Greeves at Farleigh this year at MXDN twinshock A.

From the top of my head Im going to need:

Full engine strip, new bearings, rebore/piston, could do with a new tank (its badly dented / creased, fork rebuild, shock regas, a bit of welding on the frame (one of the rear shock mounts is damaged), rebuild wheels (my dad was ahead of his time back in the early 80's running the bike on the road as i guess whats known today as a supermoto (he has road rubber on it with a little speedo at the back of the forks)) and finally, plastics.....

Comment

Hi robie great to see I am not alone in my quest of A QUB mk 2 twinshock good luck with the rebuild. Now two mk2's on the line giving those maicos a run. That would be something. Send me a private
                      Message if you want to share project tips and questions. Good luck cheers Kim

Comment

Qub mk2

I chased a cr500 with my bike till the clutch washer buggered up

Comment

Kim,
                          I've been reading the threads with interest.
                          You need to bear in mind that the MK2 Griffon is essentially a MK1 with some longer forks and moved up rear units.
                          The Maicos which currently run in twinshock are very much more advanced. I fear that the Griffon will be overwhelmed in both handling and performance, but don't let that stop you having a go. The good thing is nobody will expect you to beat the Maicos.

Another good point is that you'll be allowed to spend up to £7k before you get to the price of a Maico Only special.

Druid

Comment

Hi kim.
                            Druid, talk about shattering a guys dreams!!!!, the standard 1981 490 maico is regarded by most people in the mx world as the best mx bike ever built.
                            Maico themselves never bettered it & that was then, i dread to think what bhp the specials are pushing out now!!.
                            My point is these bikes are seriously quick & the average rider will never master half what it can give & i reckon a good rider like kim pushing a griffon 100 per cent is better than some riders sat on a bike with far to much power giving only 50 per cent.
                            I used to ride a 490 back in the 80`s & i ride a 380 twinport now & i`ll tell you what, theres some thing about a griffon & i wouldn`t bet against one, they turn in tight on corners, the rides good, & they have plenty of rapid grunt with less gears, yeah, i`m impressed with mine & kim, hope your build goes well & keen to see it as it progresses dave

Comment

Dave/Kim,
                              Sorry for dream shattering but it's as well not to be disappointed. Having said that there is a perverse pleasure in beating a so called superior bike. I used to race? a standard Goldie in pre 60. Not a patch on a tricked up Tribsa or Matchless but certainly as much, if not more fun.
                              There are a few guys who'd be more than willing to give advice but I would start with a standard bike in good condition. It still all boils down to the bloke riding it.

Druid

Comment

Working...
                              X