Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 MCS Engine Cradle restoration

Hi All

Moving on from my first post several months ago, regarding the restoration of my MCS, what are the current views on the restoration of the engine cradle/plates
    I believe originally they would have been cadmium plated? long since banned.
    So what is the current 'approved' method for restoration, zinc plating, some other plating treatment or just paint them a suitable silver?

If plating of some sort, are there any recommended plating companies for this sort of thing, I'm currently East Midlands based, but happy to travel reasonable distance?

I would also be very interested (Paging John Wakefield) in knowing if there is any factory dispatch history that exists for Frame number 61/3832 and how many 1961 MCS's in total were actually produced.

Many thanks

Jamie

Originally posted by JAD100 View Post
    Hi All

Moving on from my first post several months ago, regarding the restoration of my MCS, what are the current views on the restoration of the engine cradle/plates
    I believe originally they would have been cadmium plated? long since banned.
    So what is the current 'approved' method for restoration, zinc plating, some other plating treatment or just paint them a suitable silver?

If plating of some sort, are there any recommended plating companies for this sort of thing, I'm currently East Midlands based, but happy to travel reasonable distance?

I would also be very interested (Paging John Wakefield) in knowing if there is any factory dispatch history that exists for Frame number 61/3832 and how many 1961 MCS's in total were actually produced.

Many thanks

Jamie
    All I have on survivors list for 61/3832 is owned by GRA member 'JAD100' since 1976 unrestored some parts missing. I assume this is you, I would appreciate your full name for record. There were 396 24MCS built in 1961 (according to a chart I have). As a member you can get the factory dispatch record from either Pete Smith or Stuart Wigmore (contact details in Leading Link). As for engine plates the 'modern equivalent to cadmium plating would be zinc which would look the same. Most electro platers will do that just google electro platers in your area.

Comment

I think you will find they were spun galvanised.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
        I think you will find they were spun galvanised.
        Yes I am sure you are right there Ian, galvanising is still a current process so it should not be difficult to find companies that do this. Here is one in Nottingham https://www.frankhand.co.uk/

Comment

In order to attempt to replicate the original finish, you will need to find a galvaniser who does spin galvanising. Normal flat grey galvanising does not look right. Spin galvanising gives a sort of fleckled finish, is the best way I can describe it. Funnily enough, I have seen examples of that finish on council-owned park benches!

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
            In order to attempt to replicate the original finish, you will need to find a galvaniser who does spin galvanising. Normal flat grey galvanising does not look right. Spin galvanising gives a sort of fleckled finish, is the best way I can describe it. Funnily enough, I have seen examples of that finish on council-owned park benches!
            Here is one who have plants at various locations in UK https://www.wedge-galv.co.uk/service...8aAjYbEALw_wcB

Comment

As Ian correctly points out, the original finish was indeed Hot Dipped Spun Galvanised Zinc.

I've attached a couple of pics below which illustrate the finish.

As surface preparation is crucial to achieving a good uniform finish, it's worth confirming the supplier can carry out what is required. The links below give more information on what it is and what is required.

An Introduction to the Hot Dip Galvanizing Process |galvanizers

Surface Preparation for Hot Dip Galvanizing | Galvanizer (galvanizers.co.in)

Brian.
              Attached Files

Comment

That is a good, clear illustration of the finish, Brian

Comment

The engine plates on a 1961 MCS was Cad platted information from the GRA drawings for the engine plates
                  Gary

Comment

Oooops! Was that for one year only, Gary? Most around that time were galvanised. What would you use now to replicate that finish, if possible, to answer the OP's original question?
                    Last edited by IanCordes; 18/02/2024, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Gary.

Hopefully, the info I posted may be of help for engine plates that were originally galvanised.

Brian.

Comment

I have zinc plated it does dull down after a wile on one set recently I used zinc galvanise spay from screw fix quick drying and a nice dull finish and at about ?7 a tin sorted the job

Comment

I wonder where Greeves got their galvanising done? There was a well known metal metal widow maufacturer Crittall of Witham, Essex who had a large galvanising plant for the window frames, so it is possible that they did the engine plates for Greeves. In fact the company are still going today https://www.crittall-windows.co.uk/ but not sure if they still do galvanising.

Comment

Thanks Gary. Font of all knowledge, as ever!

Comment

Originally posted by garybam4711 View Post
                              I have zinc plated it does dull down after a wile on one set recently I used zinc galvanise spay from screw fix quick drying and a nice dull finish and at about ?7 a tin sorted the job
                              Hi Gary

Thank you for the confirmation re Cadmium, and your excellent & pragmatic suggestions.
                              To help get me moving (Stop procrastinating) I think I will try the paint suggested. I can always look at Zinc Plating them in the future.

John, Thank you for your replies, I have DM'd you the info you requested and will contact Pete or Stewart regarding Dispatch records

Ian and Brian thanks for your info, interesting that the 61 MCS treatment was different to other Greeves marques

Many thanks again Gents

Jamie

Comment

Working...
                              X